Tascam M-06ST - How To Connect Effects?

AfxTwn

Gear owned
Tascam M-06
Hi, I have just bought a used Tascam M-06ST mixer and hoped someone could help me with how to connect a multi-effects unit (the Zoom G3X) to the mixer so that I can have this providing effects to all the channels and just adjust a knob for each individual channel when I want it to use the effects.

I have found the manual for the mono version of the mixer (can't find a manual for my stereo mixer); the M-06 but the layout is slightly different as it has specific inputs and outputs for effects. Whereas on my ST version, it just has a single Cue Out port and a couple Insert ports on channels 5 and 6 and a Aux In connection for RCA cables (please see attached photo).

JdXTeLo

https://imgur.com/a/JdXTeLo

Do I just connect an unbalanced cable from the Cue Out port to the input of my multi-effects pedal and then use 2 unbalanced cables from the right and left output ports of my Zoom pedal into the Aux In RCA ports of the mixer or would I be better going into the Insert 5 and 6 ports instead? If I am better using the Aux In ports of the mixer for the output of my effects pedal then I need to get some 1/4 jack to phono/RCA cables whereas if I can just use the Insert ports then I will be fine with standard unbalanced guitar cables. Although presumably using the 5 and 6 Insert ports would take up those two channels on the mixer and not allow me to use the Line In (RCA) or Mic In ports of channels 5 and 6 at the same time as using the Inserts?

The front of the mixer has a Aux In knob to adjust the level of that so I thought perhaps this is the equivalent of the M-06's Effects Return and is just named differently.

Thanks for any help with this.

The mixer is too small and has no effect returns or aux lines to selectively send to effects. It is just a small mixer not a full sized mixer. You could use the cue out and then bring back effects into a input but then you start to lose inputs and the cue out of the effect input will need to stay down to avoid a feed back loop.

Reactions: AfxTwn
Thanks for your reply. It's strange about it being too small as it's the same size as the mono M-06 mixer which has an effects section as seen in these photos:

https://imgur.com/Hh7bmou

https://imgur.com/XpN7Ioz

The difference between the ST and mono models is that the ST has Cue pots where the mono has Effects pots and the ST has a Aux In control knob whereas the mono mixer has an Effects Return knob.

On the back of the mixer where all the ins and outs are, the mono mixer does have more and has sections dedicated to effects.

I would have thought the ST would be an upgrade on the standard mono M-06 and still retain all of the features such as effects returns. I just assumed that they were named differently and that the Aux In acted as an effects in and the Cue Out acted as an output to your effects and then you would use the Aux In knob on the front to adjust the master level of the effects to all channels and each channel's individual Cue knob would be to adjust the effects send on that channel. This would allow you to retain all of the channels inputs without having to give any up for the sake of an effects input.

Maybe I have bought the wrong mixer and need something bigger to achieve what I want of multiple stereo input channels and an effects return input/output.

The only manual they allowed a download was the M-06 that was not the ST but still when the made a new model out of it probably from complaints from users they just relabeled some things and they changed the lesser mixer to the ST. It all depends on what you want to do with a mixer but I would not use anything lower than a M308 which has many capabilities but not the ability to handle 16 tracks for mix down but most likely 8 track like from a 38. You know before I would get ready to buy a mixer I would look at the manuals that are on line and see what I was going to be dealing with. I have several Model 1 mixers for bench work but my other mixers are M50, M520 and M1516 and they can all be cross coupled through a path bay. I just do not have just one tape deck here.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.