Tascam model 12 midi thru

Ian Forster

Gear owned
Tascam model 12
Hi
Looking at the midi implementation chart in the manual it looks to me that note information is not recognised by the Tascam but should be passed thru to the midi out. I’ve been trying it out by passing note info into the midi in but the synth connected via the midi out is not receiving any note info.

Wondering if anyone else managed to get it to work, don’t think there are any settings I’m missing.

cheers
Ian

Apart from generating MIDI TimeCode/clock the Model 12 has no MIDI functions itself. MIDI messages coming from the MIDI IN connector are sent to the computer, the MIDI OUT connector outputs MIDI messages sent from the computer. To achieve your goal you have to activate soft-thru from the computer/daw, in other words note messages coming from a keyboard connected to MIDI IN are passed to MIDI OUT via software.
Hope it helps

Thanks.

Not using a daw so can’t use that. I was trying to record a hardware synth straight into the Tascam with midi notes and pitchbend info from a midi keyboard and time code from the Tascam. If you are saying the midi notes are not passed thru then will have to rethink
Best

Ian

MIDI IN and MIDI Thru are available when the Model 12 is working as a computer interface, not as a standalone multitrack mixer/recorder. Sure you will find a solution that works best, as a starting point you can use a MIDI merge box to mix the signals sent from the keyboard and the Tascam and pass them to the synth (perhaps you want to synchronize an arpeggiator or an LFO); or use a MIDI sequencer slaved to Model 12 timecode (i.e. an AKAI MPC) to record notes and controllers signals from the keyboard while you drive the synth, doing this way you have both MIDI and audio tracked separately. I work dawless too, my setup consists of a Beatstep Pro, a keyboard and a few synth modules floating around the Model 12, it feels small-sized but limitation is not always a bad thing.
Cheers

Max

Reactions: Tahiche
Midi merger, of course I didn’t think of that. I have a Kenton midi splitter sure they do a merger as well I will check it out.

Thanks for explaining things

Ian

Yes, that's the Kenton Merge-4. If you want to build one yourself there are a bunch of DIY projects, i.e. http://www.ucapps.de/midimerger.html. Bear in mind that MIDI protocol has a pretty limited bandwidth (32kbps serial protocol) and trying to send too many real-time messages over such a slow network could give some hiccup; i.e. realtime clock + many notes on/off + many continuous controllers can easily saturate the bandwidth thus it could lead at worst to delayed or lost messages (it's not always the case but think of it).

Cheers
Max

Last edited:
MIDI IN and MIDI Thru are available when the Model 12 is working as a computer interface, not as a standalone multitrack mixer/recorder. Sure you will find a solution that works best, as a starting point you can use a MIDI merge box to mix the signals sent from the keyboard and the Tascam and pass them to the synth (perhaps you want to synchronize an arpeggiator or an LFO); or use a MIDI sequencer slaved to Model 12 timecode (i.e. an AKAI MPC) to record notes and controllers signals from the keyboard while you drive the synth, doing this way you have both MIDI and audio tracked separately. I work dawless too, my setup consists of a Beatstep Pro, a keyboard and a few synth modules floating around the Model 12, it feels small-sized but limitation is not always a bad thing.
Cheers

Max
@Max Relic so there’s no midi thru in standalone. I can’t find this information in the manual, seems like the “midi implementation” part of the manual (page 58 I believe) refers to the usb interface mode, not standalone.
I just purchased an m-audio 2x2 midisport, which has a “merge” button, hope it works.
In a basic setup I want to use the model 12 synced to a Digitakt and a synth/keyboard. The Digitakt sequences the synth but also receives notes from the synth, it also needs midi sync from the model 12. So I guess the solution is a midi merger like you mention, where the Model12 midi (sync) and the synth keys (notes) are merged at input. Right?. Seems rather complicated. It’d be nice if the Model12 output had thru. thanks!

Units that have MIDI out and MIDI thru often have this as two separate jacks. If the Model12 would have had a MIDI thru you would still need to combine the MIDI out (master sync) with the MIDI thru (notes from the synth keys), ie a merge function.
So the M-Audio merger sounds like exactly the solution to your problem.
Nothing complicated at all.
But keep in mind that the sync signal needs to be prioritized (sometimes mergers have the option to choose which of the inputs are used for sync).

Reactions: Max Relic
I just purchased an m-audio 2x2 midisport, which has a “merge” button, hope it works.
@Tahiche The Midisport 2x2 has a MIDI Merge function that can be enabled both in standalone and PC mode, so you should be covered when working dawless.
@Tahiche and @Logrinn
I solved the same puzzle with a old-timer Yamaha YMM2 which sports a Midi Clock Input selector for filtering unwanted clock messages out (this helps in keeping tight timing and minimize MIDI messages latency).
Cheers

Reactions: Logrinn