Tascam Model 16 Auto Punch

musicianvw

Gear owned
tascam 32sd
I was wondering how the auto punch is on the model 16 i would be using it only as a stand alone recorder no daw. So was wondering if the auto punch is clean or do you get those clicks and sounds when things are synced.

well as with alot of auto punch i have done in the past you can tell were the punch is done the sounds dont match up there is maybe not a click but a distinct noticable over lap or space where the sounds dont meet. some machines do better punches then others so was wondering how well the punches are on the model 16.

Got it. You're talking about the punch-in being right in place and not some other noises (I hadn't heard any). Thanks. I have to say I've yet to try the punch-in feature, so I can't go any further than this for you. Sorry!

Reactions: -mjk-
well as with alot of auto punch i have done in the past you can tell were the punch is done the sounds dont match up there is maybe not a click but a distinct noticable over lap or space where the sounds dont meet. some machines do better punches then others so was wondering how well the punches are on the model 16.

@Blue Monster 65 (as usual) is 100% correct.

The machine itself (that is to say, a transparent machine of any type, analog or digital) does not create any noise of its own. It will not create a click or a pop in the audio. yet, we engineers talk about "punch marks" on our recordings.

Punching is an art form. It has to do with the precise location of the punch point, and the delay for the machine to enter record mode is a crucial factor in this timing. In the 80's the 2 machines I found to be the fastest were the 3M M79 (the machine used to record Bohemian Rhapsody) and (of course) the Studer A80.

My DP-32 is capable of flawless punch-ins if I do it right. I had to learn (by feel) the delay it takes for the machine to punch in after I hit the button. By far the best method with these digital machines is auto-punch because you can do it with surgical precision. Attempt to set up the autopunch to come in at a high impulse point - that is to say just at the precise moment when you hit a guitar chord, or a key on the keyboard. If, upon playback you hear the punch, simply press UNDO and nudge the punch-in point earlier or later and do it again (small moves!). Observe the results. Keep doing it until you get it as transparent as possible. And please keep in mind that a punch mark that can be heard when soloed is a lot less likely to be heard in the mix, so don't beat yourself up over a soloed punch mark. Try to monitor as close to the final mix conditions as your production environment will allow.

(I have the mulitracks for one of the world's most famous bands and you can definitely hear punch marks on the tracks when they are soloed - but they sound amazing in the mix)

Pro tip: When you are doing a punch-in play along with the track before the punch in point. This way, all the ringing of the instrument, and any room reverb/FX tails will be generated in the same way as the current recorded performance. This is especially important if you are singing vocals. If you punch in a vocal track and the room reverb is missing you will hear a distinct difference! If you start singing or playing at the exact point the machine engages the Record function, you will notice a difference. The room reverb/FX and harmonic content from the ringing of the previous chords or voice in the room won't be there. Yours Truly has punched in 7 tracks of acoustic drums (live played of course) in the middle of a song on 24 track analog and the punch was invisible. But I had the drummer play the tune from the head so that when I punched in, the room was alive with the drum sounds just as they were on the previous performance.

Go for it! Have no fear. The machine can UNDO anything with a single button press.

Thank you for the compliment, MJK.

And as he says above, practice does indeed make perfect. Pay attention to all the details laid out above and you'll be on your way!

BTW - SEVEN tracks of drums?!?! Wow! That's really something - very impressive!

@Blue Monster 65 Truth be told, as long as your artist is playing in the room and you haven't made any adjustments to anything, it could be any number of tracks. In those days though that's the track count I always used for single-kick drum kits.

To be honest, most of my recording in the ‘80’s was either all electronic or VO. When I did record in someone else’s studio with bands, I was not the engineer, but the artist and therefore was hands-off the board. The handful of band recordings I did were demos and nothing too difficult (quick ‘n’ easy was the rule).

Yes, punching in/out can be an art form (auto punch is already a little less of an art form ;)..) but maybe the OP has experience with other machines that DO give a click or pop.

On a more technical level: does the machine take zero-crossings into account? No matter how good your punching is, there is no way to prevent punching at the precise peak of the existing wave - maybe also while inserting the new wave at a peak (or at least not a zero-crossing). Does the machine perform a very short crossfade at the punch in/out point? That will make it technically unnoticeable (ofcourse the normal punching rules apply, but there won't be a click/pop).

TBH, I have no idea whether this information can be found..

My guess is, if any of those machines did that, Tascam would surely have listed it as a feature.

There are alternative methods such as putting the second take on another track and doing a manual crossfade on a bounce.

Reactions: Arjan P

New threads

Members online

No members online now.