Tascam Model 16 Midi Sync Not Working

joegeezer

Gear owned
Tascam Model 16
Hi Guys,
I'm trying to get the midi Sync function to work and not having any luck after trying the following:

- Connected to a mac , then connected a usb to midi cable to the same mac, using Mac's MIDI Studio tool
pointed channel 1 out of the model 16 to the channel in of the USB MIDI Interface. The usb to midi cable's midi out went into the midi in of an external device.

- Same as above but used aconnect with a Raspberry Pi, matched the the out of MOdel 16 to the in of the usb midi interface and again no luck. (I could see that the midi messages were being sent to the external device but the start of the device wasnt triggered.

- Connected again in MacOS inside Logic. Same as the first attempt but this time when i pressed play on the Tascam it did stop Logic from playing, Logic was reading the input from the Model 16 but seemed to not be able to understand the messages.... Im wondering if the MTC messages sent by the Tascam are compatible with Logics MTC settings? I tried every variation i could think of and nothing seems to work.

If anyone has a Tascam Model 16 or 24 and is able to trigger an external midi device over midi i would be very interested to know your setup!

I did read someone with a Model 24 manage to trigger an MPC but alas i dont have one of those.
thanks in advance.

You can trigger other devices (start/stop) with the Model 16? That’s news to me. I thought it was just midi time code to sync with your DAW.

Thanks, yep i got a sequencer that has a tape sync out, all good now!

I know this is an old post but how did you (or anyone else) get the model 16 to sync?

You can trigger other devices (start/stop) with the Model 16? That’s news to me. I thought it was just midi time code to sync with your DAW.

Hi, how do use MTC to sync with your DAW? I cannot get any kind of syncing to happen with Logic :/

Sorry - never actually done it, but page 49 of the manual gives the instructions for settings on the M16 side. Not sure about what you’d have to do in Logic.

Yeah i've followed the instructions via Logic guide but no joy. I can trigger play and stop via MTC but as sound as you press REC on the Model 16 the MTC message in Logic glitches and gets stuck. Which means none of my slaved synced up hardware fires. It's ok if Logic doesn't record while the Model 16 is, so long as Logic stays in sync and sends out the correct timing to the hardware. Otherwise it's impossible to do any overdubbing/layered recording :(

New threads

Members online

No members online now.