Tascam Porta One not recording

Zozo

Gear owned
porta one
Hello,

I just got a porta one and all seems to be working fine except for the recording function, the red blinking light doesn't start! and I cant't seem to be able to record anything!

The tape goes forward and back, it plays, it comes sound out of it, also the mic/line is working i hear whatever I plug in.

Been searching the web for a similar problem but haven't been lucky so far..

I've watched some tutorials on how to record and doesn't seem that I'm missing something.

Any help??
Thanks

A check for Record enable tab in tape, Make sure you are using Chrome tape as this unit was made for that. Next see if the upper left sense lever of switch is working- that is where the problem could be. Other than that and of course not using it correctly, then you will need to open it op and approach the problem like a Technician would with scopes and Oscillators test equipment. Many people never clean heads and Pinch Rollers in these. I have seen unit that look like they have 20 years of dirt on them. Dirt covered heads even in open reel machines will not record anything either. The switch problem seem like the most likely as the Record LED should go solid at some point.

Reactions: Zozo
Hei, thanks for the reply!

What do you mean by "upper left sense lever of switch"?
Also i'm not using chrome tapes, I'm using the ones in the photo. does it only work on chrome? can this be the problem, does it recognize the kind of tapes?

Also i did open it up to check inside and found that little metal piece loose inside!

I don't think i could approach this as a technician and don't even now where i could find someone aroud that would be of service around where i live!
bummer!!!

I can't upload photos here!?!
well, the tapes are Konica KX-I type I and SKC LX both normal bias 120us
and the little metal thing is shaped round with both ends round to the outside!

You can send me a photo direct by e mail to skywavebe@sbcglobal.net but if there are parts broken off sometimes they are important and if a metal piece is broken so might there be solder joints and boards. All Porta Studio are designed to use Chrome tape- it has been that way since they started. Where are you located?

Hei again and thanks for the help..

I will send you now an email!

I'm based in Portugal but i live in the mountain, maybe in a big city there is someone that can fix this, actually just remembered that a friend of mine works, among other things, with repairing old analog synths and whatnot, I will send him a message to see if he ever worked on something like this.

I was just hoping it would be something easy or just maybe something i overlooked, since I would really want to start experimenting on it.

Well often times the problems are simple if you are a Technician but some item after other people work on them are extremely hard to fix.

New threads

Members online