Tascam Portastudio 414 MK II Transport Control Noise

cereyanlimusiki

Gear owned
Portastudio 424 MK II
Hey there.

I got a second hand Tascam Portastudio 414 MK II

Overall It works and records. I replaced all the belts but I have this mechanical rattling noise when FWD button engage which I could not get rid of.

Any suggestions, reccomendations or pointers are welcome

See the the videos ( one with casette inside , one without )

I suspect it is caused by white gear in the middle when it is engaged to supply reel or take up reel

What I could see of the video that the center gear is rotating but not turning the reel table. These unit are old and have old grease in them that stop products from operating correctly. People tell me that all it needs is a belt- I tell them to go change the belt. The unit need a lot more than a belt which you are now finding out.

Reactions: cereyanlimusiki
Hey @SkywaveTDR

thanks for the reply.

white center gear does turn both reel tables as you can see in the video ( othwervise cassette tape would not forward or rewind ).
You can see clearly in second video without the cassette tape loaded.

Any recommendation how to clean old grease or lube reel table?

Last edited:
The video I saw did not have gears turning at times- probably a You Tube lack of updating.
The way I clean out old grease is mostly with Denatured alcohol and either cotton swab on a surface or shaft and then the use of an acid brush for the gears. An old tooth brush will also with alcohol get them clean.
These units some of which have complicated gear box arrangements- one I found the drive gear totally frozen on the shaft. I cleaned it and put Lubriplate in the shaft area and the unit worked like new.
Clean these up so that all the parts move as they should is the best thing you can do for them.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.