Tascam US-4x4 woes

Dave Tudor

Gear owned
Tascam US-4x4 interface
Hi all, I've seen this problem posted before, but before I throw this interface in the bin, I thought I'd try one last time to see if anyone has resolved it.

I've had a US-4x4 for about 6 years now. No problems with it. A couple of weeks ago, I had to reinstall Windows 10 on my PC so I downloaded the latest drivers and firmware for the interface.

Since then, nothing but problems. Playing YouTube videos, all of a sudden the sound distorts and the video plays at double speed. Power off the interface and video speed returns to normal.

Today on an important Zoom call, about half an hour in, the sound started to distort, crackle and fizz until I couldn't hear the guy I was talking to. Had to abort.

Playing MP3 and flac music files. Starts OK and then the sound distorts and sounds terrrible.

After years of trouble free operation, I can only put this down to the driver. I also use the Tascam for recording in my home studio. Doesn't matter what browser I use, if it's got sound on it, eventually the US-4x4 breaks down.

I'm utterly stumped at what to try next. I've done all the obvious stuff and installed/reinstalled the drivers more times than I care to mention but no good. There's no rhyme or reason when it does this. I can only assume that the driver isn't compatible with the very latest Windows 10 updates. I can play some videos (or sound) for an hour sometimes and it's fine. Then it just goes. Other times, two minutes in and it fails.

But fail it does.

A Focusrite beckons if I can't solve this. Any ideas folks? Thanks.

Is USB power management disabled?

I haven't checked - but I will. Thanks.

No doubt in my mind though is that this is a driver issue. It's worked flawlessly for the past 6 years. Nothing in my system has changed.

Shoddy from Tascam. It is a discontinued product now but that doesn't mean they shouldn't support it.

I have the same problems with the driver V4.00.
Just deinstall it and install the V2.13.
The next versions have the problem.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.