Tascam - Voice Of The Customer - Are You Listening?

cmaffia

Staff member
From
Queens, New York
Website
cmaffia.wix.com
Gear owned
2 x DM3200, DA-3000
Opening this thread up for us to voice our opinions and concerns regarding the direction of Tascam/TEAC under Gibson Management. Maybe it will do something, maybe it won't. It can be anything from their customer support services to their product line direction.

Fire away.

Reactions: DJ X
I'll have a go!

Require the technical writers to go into the TASCAM company archives, find the owner manuals for the TASCAM M-1, M-3 and Model 30 Mixers; the 40-4, 80-8, 34-4, and 38-8 Multitrack Recorders, the excellent TEAC White Paper, and the even more excellent TEAC Multi-track Primer.

Require your technical writers learn from those gems how to write a proper, informative owner manual specific to using your products effectively, so the musicians and aspiring recording engineers that are your customer base will feel empowered and enthusiastic about creating music, rather than being confused and frustrated, as many now are, due to the mediocre quality of your current owner manuals.

Last edited:
Don't kill the digital multitrack!
Stay alive. No matter what occurs!
We will find you!

This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster. An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.

How about Technical documentation for those models that you make like the 238S which no one seems to have any data or documents on. It is unacceptable to make a product and offer no service manual for it but as far as I have seen this is the case.

Reactions: -mjk-
Gibson: Please just sell off Tascam/TEAC to someone who gives a crap about the legacy, the hardware, making new innovations and music in general, you guys really don't seem to any longer and you need the money :D

Reactions: Axe Victim
It'll never, ever happen but I'll throw it out there anyway: Tascam, PLEASE revive the SX model. Make an SX-2 with a similar design paradigm and I'll be all over it.

I want a big, solid, heavy machine with sturdy faders and knobs that doesn't require me to hook up anything but a monitor, keyboard and mouse. No external computer, mixer, mic preamps, disc burner, etc. If you want to make the SX-2 SSD, great.

Your current DP models just don't fit the bill for me.

This:

Don't kill the digital multitrack!
Stay alive. No matter what occurs!
We will find you!

This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster. An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.

And this:

Gibson: Please just sell off Tascam/TEAC to someone who gives a crap about the legacy, the hardware, making new innovations and music in general, you guys really don't seem to any longer and you need the money :D

It'd be a damned shame to see this brand that brought affordable multitrack recorders to the masses go away because of mismanagement.

;):)

Reactions: Jason Jackman
Gibson will no doubt sell TEAC now as part of their protected restructuring. But if Tascam can recover from being so far behind the times for so long is anybody's guess. They were certainly innovators, but they were surpassed by so many competitors... and now you can buy a Midas M32-IP for under $4K, the Tascam DM's seem a bit cheezy by comparison.

Finally, some time ago I sold my DM-3200 and went 100% in the box, using a MOTU 896mk3 interface. Ever since, I've had clients (even as recently as this morning) tell me that new work I've done for them is "clearer," "less muddy," "more open with more separation between instruments," etc. I attribute this to the interface, and feel it demonstrates that the cards available for these boards also suffer by comparison to other widely-available and reasonably priced interfaces.

I know you guys are fans: I was as hardcore a cheerleader for my DM console as anybody. But they've been left at the gate. The chances of a Tascam revival are, IMO, very slim.

Reactions: Allan moonman
I have watched through the years the company lose direction and go the cheap route with dual cassettes with the Tascam name on them and then no parts support. The people in charge now have no clue as to how the original brothers put it together. Going with the digital junk that anybody can make is not a good entry into that market nor a good piece of the market. I hope Teac makes a go of it as I have always liked the brand and I owe a lot to them for this continued job of fixing all this well made stuff. Even in the newer open reel deck like the X2000R it makes me think it was designed by a guy in China who never saw a reel before- there are too many mistakes in this supposed improved model. At least there are people in the US that are stepping up to make a part for the deck where the cheap Alps switches fail. I think Teac may be a sign on the door of a cheap office in some crummy building and you can not run a company like that.
I think it would be great is Elon Musk would buy the company and start making good decks again but he has is hands full. That is the kind or person they need not some idiot at Gibson with high dreams.

I think the DP008ex is very simple to use how about a true 16track with knobs and simple to use. there are some who do not have the time to learn a daw. go back to simple with function.

axistrat, have you looked at the new TASCAM Model 24? There's a recent thread on it in the 2488&DP-24/32 section of the forum.

OK well lets pull our money together and buy TEAC/TASCAM from Gibson.
I'll sell my home. Anyone else?

I think the DP008ex is very simple to use how about a true 16track with knobs and simple to use. there are some who do not have the time to learn a daw. go back to simple with function.

I think you just got your wish with the Model 16.

Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Members online

No members online now.