Tascam X9 no audio, display irregularities

E Greeno

Gear owned
Tascam X9
Hello, not sure if this is the correct sub-forum for this but anyway-

First post here, was hoping anyone had any experience with this mixer and the faults it may have-

Was sold as working, but seems to be not quite right :/ (my fault- should've fully tested it whoops)

Anyway, the mixer powers up fine, no error codes and I have tried phono in and line in and it seems that all of the mixer's functions are working as they should- i.e. I'm getting the dB meters lighting up and the BPM lights etc all working.

So it seems the logic features of the mixer are all working.

However, no audio through my headphones out on the cue, or through the unbalanced RCA out into an amplifier and speakers. With the phono, it seemed like I had the faintest hint of audio out of the speakers, almost like there was no pre-amp working but nothing at all through the headphones other than a 50hz hum.

Using line input from an MP3 player I'm getting absolutely nothing- not even the 50Hz hum on the headphones.

One more strange thing is that there seems to be some bleedthrough or that the incorrect LEDs are lighting up very faintly, for example the adjacent dB meter on a seperate channel is showing the same as the one next to it, albeit very very dim. In addition, on the 7 segment displays at the top none of the bottom most segments are lighting up which seems odd.

Could it be a dodgy capacitor in the pre-amp or power supply circuitry? I suppose that these amps are getting on for 15+ years old now and this sort of thing is to be expected.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Hi everyone - I have somewhat fixed the issue

I opened the front of the mixer as the front mounted headphone out had been pushed through, and was greeted with a ribbon cable dropping out of its socket.

Pushed back in, screwed the front on and I now have audio... my guess is it dropped out during transport back home in the car.

That being said- I still have the issue of the LEDs acting a bit strangely. I'm still guessing that 15 year old components may be due a freshen up at somepoint...

Thanks.

Reactions: -mjk-
Normally, I would change the electrolytic caps and touch up all the solder joints on all boards to start with.

Thought I'd post another update- the 7 segment LEDs have decided to work now after some warming up- electronics can be funny sometimes.

mjk, I think I may have a crack at replacing the capacitors and whatnot sometime this summer when I've got a spare few days, thanks for the advice

Thumbs up!

This is that digital line of stuff and I would expect the quality to be more like Mackie products than the old Tascam mixers that I usually fix. Some of this stuff was built as throw away type products. Being the item is not as old as a 1970's unit the solder joints are likely the biggest problem. Most Porta Studio products were built like junk and will have hundreds of weak or barely soldered parts in them. A Weller and some Kester 44 is your best friend in this deck.
I use the same method fixing decks for 47 years now. The Weller models have changed in that time but they do last pretty long. I am not so sure of the LCD models because as soon as they put a display in there like and LCD they after a time start loosing segments. Reliability wise LCD is the worse display you could use.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.