Tascam X9 showing error codes

Discussion in 'DJ Central' started by Earl Grae, Jan 4, 2018.

  1. Earl Grae

    Earl Grae New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 2018
    Messages:
    2
    Likes:
    0
    Gear:
    X9
    So i have this X9 here thats been collecting dust for some time. I decided to fire it up. Low and behold, im getting error codes. Mainly Error 1. Im getting no audio out. Not from main, booth, or even headphones. Many buttons and knobs no longer working either. Any ideas? This thing was pristine when i put it on the shelf.
  2. IceBurn

    IceBurn New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2018
    Messages:
    2
    Likes:
    0
    Gear:
    Tascam X-9 mixer
    I’m in the exact same boat.
  3. Enrico Endruhn

    Enrico Endruhn New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2018
    Messages:
    2
    Likes:
    0
    Gear:
    Tascam x9
    Problem is a small resistor is fault you need to replace it

    Attached Files:

  4. WWIII

    WWIII New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes:
    0
    Gear:
    X9
    My X9 is showing err1 and err3 as well. It gets better with time but still gives an err3 every once in a while. It's enough to make the thing unusable.

    I bought a copy of the service manual on e-bay and found the following (bad English and all):

    If "Err 1", "Err 2" or "Err 3" appears in the left display at this time, the correct communications are not established between U302 (SLAVE DSP) and U303 (micro-comp.) on DSP PCB. If "Err 1", "Err 2" or "Err 3" appears in the right display, the correct communications are not established between U301 (MASTER DSP) and U303 (micro-comp.) on DSP PCB.

    If the error message does not go out, the power supply voltage or DSP PCB (errors in U301, U302, U303 or others) are out of way.


    I checked the schematics and the U301, U302 and U303 chips are the big flat chips all on the same board so that eliminated the easy to fix loose cable I was hoping for between them.

    This left the power supply voltage.

    I popped open the face of my X9 (have to remove side screws and a bunch of key caps to get to it) and was able to see the power supply while looking down into the machine.

    I found a large 16V 10,000 uF capacitor with a bulging top. Not a good sign. Slapped it on my meter and saw it was only registering around 3K uF and was losing almost 30% voltage. Effectively turning it into a resistor.

    Ordering a replacement capacitor tonight. Will let you know if that fixes my err1 and err3 issues.
  5. WWIII

    WWIII New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes:
    0
    Gear:
    X9
    Confirmed! The 10K capacitor with the bulge was the culprit. It looks like Enrico had an issue with one of the smaller capacitors. Either way, check your caps if you're seeing err1 or err3.