TC Chase LED Blinking

Jayson Wonder

From
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Gear owned
DM-4800, MX-2424, US-1641
Hey all,

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue. I have the MX connected to a DM-4800. I have a wordclock connection over BNC for sample lock and I have a midi in / out cable also connected.

The goal was to control the transport on the MX via DM while ensuring it does not drift. I want the MX to chase the DM using MTC.

Menu 000: MTC Chase
Menu 002: Ext Wordclock
Menu 020: Off
Online selected (light on)
Sample Lock LED is on solid
TC Chase just blinks.

Any idea what I could be missing?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hey Allan,

You are right about that. I have put it online and that seems to as the manual describes. Once online and play on transport is pressed the TC Chase should light solid if receiving MTC.

I am starting to wonder if the DM is actually sending MTC out of the midi out or MTC out port. I have a similar post on DM forums about this also but I have checked everything with the manual and all looks correct.

I'm up against the wall on this one.

You don’t press play on the mx, put it on line and it should play when the time code is received. I think if you press play it takes it off line again.

I’ve never done this with midi only smpte. But it’s been a while.

Yes you are totally correct. Bad description on my part. Pressing transport on MX will make it go either offline or into semi-online mode depending on the 020 Auto Chase setting.

So yes I will press play on DM and MX will start but TC Chase light jist blinks.

I am starting to think it is indeed the DM problem. I have no other SMPTE generator to trial this on. No way to confirm id the MTC is being sent.

Should my DM display the time on the meter bridge if working? I have no display of time just dashes where the numbers should be.

I'm lost.

I think you are trying to do something that does not work, the remote control of the mx may be carried out by a different method
I think you keep the mx as the master clock, also the master machine.

The desk remotes via midi commands not MTC. By the way if the times frames etc are not the same on both machines check the smpte frame rates are the same. Maybe someone on the DM forum can help with remote info.

That is a point to consider but I thought there was a sample clock, which I am using wordclock, then there is a MTC to prevent drift once midi triggers stand and this is why there is MTC chase? Midi does indeed control the transport but I thought I need MTC to lock and display time. I will have to go back to the manual and see if I can make sense of this.

What is the purpose of MTC Chase is the other question.

Thank for your thoughts, it is all helpful in figuring this out!

Hey thanks,

Definitely helpful in rethinking my efforts. I used to have a DM-24 and this should provide a similar setup to the DM-4800 which is what I want to do it with. The midi page on the DM-4800 looks to be a bit more complicated with regards to routing to ports and filters etc. but I will recheck my settings compared to this.

If I read this correctly, it seems like the DM-4800 will send the transport start/stop type functions but the MX is what need to send the MTC back to DM. This is opposite of my previous assumptions. I though MTC Chase referred to following not sending. So I will need to reread and rethink my logic here. The DM has a separate MTC Thru/Out (Midi) port so I am sure it can put MTC out so I just gotta figure out how to make the MX receive.

I will post back any results after experimenting so more.

Thanks,

New threads

Members online

No members online now.