Teac 25-2 service manual & questions!

Camilo Silva F.

Gear owned
Tascam 42-NB 1/4"
Guys, hi!

Just rescued a 25-2 from my former workplace. It's very dirty and the audio unit, the separate one with all audio cards & DBX cards, it's been gutted for the VUs, audio transformers and some other parts (I don't think this can be resurrected without a lot of effort & parts). Still have most of the cards in there tho, including all four DBX cards. No interconnecting cables whatsoever...

Now, the transport unit, while externally very dirty, it powers up and the inside seems reasonably clean. Capstan motor spins, speed control works, edit button works. The "pause" LED is active and the transport doesn't show any further signs of life. I'm not familiar with this machine so I want to ask you experts if the transport needs the audio unit to be connected in order for it to operate (play, forward, rewind...). I guess so but again, I'm not familiar with the unit.

I have this crazy idea, where I put this transport into operation and use an external tape preamplifier connected to it (want to build it, just for the fun of it) and use the contraption as a playback-only machine for 1/2 and 1/4 track tapes. (already own a Tascam 42 I'm rebuilding and an Ampex ATR104 1/2") so this might be a nice addition to the collection.

What do you think? Will this be doable?

Which also leads me to the service manual/schematics question. HiFiengine seems to have it but it's just impossible to open an account there (VPN error every time, any ISP, with or without VPN, at least from my location).

Thank you all!

New threads

Members online