Timeline Display DP-24

Tommy D

Gear owned
DP-24, DP-008, Porta Two
Firstly, apologies if I have missed something fairly obvious, here. It’s my first time on this forum.

When viewing tracks in ‘Timeline’ display on the DP-24, the zero point on my display has shifted a little to the right. Roughly to where the ‘S’ on the ‘Save’ command is located at the bottom.

The track view usually starts at the extreme left of the display. There is an example of this in the illustrations under the ‘Basic Editing Procedures’ and ‘Copy/Paste’ on pages 60 & 61 in the manual.

I can’t find an explanation for this in the manual. I have performed a factory reset. I have not set any in/out points. Can anybody tell me how to restore the display to normal, please?
Thanks
Tommy

All that matters is 00:00:00.00 or 001-01 (depending on how your meter is set: ABS or BAR).

Hi Tommy and welcome to the forum. The 'current time' point is part way across the screen so you can see the audio before and after that point. It does take a bit of getting used to, but it's very useful when you move/jog the current time away from the start point.
If you go into Jog Play mode, you'll see the actual audio waveform of the selected track, and this is also offset in a similar way.

Thank you for your replies, Mark and Phil-and thanks for the welcome, Phil.

I can see the advantage of the offset position, but I can’t understand why it seems to have happened, now. I use the timeline view quite a lot and haven’t seen this before. I have been doing a great deal of editing lately and I wondered if I’d left some function activated.

It’s not a big problem, but I would like to restore it to my regular display.
Cheers
Tommy

As far as I recall, the timeline display has always been like that - I stand to be corrected of course :)
Are you sure you haven't switched to timeline view when the current position was part way through the song? If so, you will be used to seeing the coloured bars covering the whole width of the screen, and if you didn't spot the thin vertical line in the middle, you may have thought zero was the left hand side. You only see an obvious gap on the left if your song is positioned at/near the start.
Just thought - what firmware version are you on? (and is it the dp24 or dp24sd?)

Hello Phil,
I’m using the DP-24. I have been using the machine for about 3 years now and only noticed the change in the display last week. I have also tried loading up some old songs from previous SIM cards, but it seems to default to the offset position. Perhaps, as you say, it is normal and I simply haven’t noticed it before. However...I’m not yet convinced
Cheers
Tommy

Reactions: Phil Tipping
I would like to restore it to my regular display.

You're mistaken.

What you see is how it's been for all DP-24 firmware versions since FW 1.02 (May 2012), and for the 7 years I've owned my DP-24. Mine arrived with FW 1.02 and I immediately upgraded to the current version at that time, which was 1.10/Mar 2013.

If you look at the firmware update procedure instructions on the TASCAM website, you'll see that the "Information" screen in the first panel is taken from FW 1.00 0001.

It's reasonable to conclude most (if not all) the images in the owner manual come from FW 1.00.

By the way, are you running the most current firmware?

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. I do accept that I may be mistaken.

Among other things, I use the machine for mixing speech and music and I often upload music tracks from CD. As you know, when the track is imported it defaults to the zero point. I just don’t recall the display being offset before. I have just imported a CD track and it has gone to offset. It’s probably my own faulty memory

The machine is using Firmware Version 1.11.0065.

I’ll upload the latest firmware. Do I need to upload all versions from 1.11.0065 onwards or just the latest one?
Cheers
Tommy

Reactions: Mark Richards
You're welcome, Tommy.

It's a little unclear to me how important this is (or not)....

But a number of us have thought it a good practice to remove/move all data from the SD card and run a full format on it *after* updating to the newest firmware.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.