Trouble networking PC and MX2424 for MX-view

Nate Flanigan

Gear owned
mx2424
Hello, I thought it'd be cleaner to start a new thread to address a more specific issue I'm having. I'm having trouble networking a PC and MX2424 for using MX-view.

I'm using an older laptop running windows 7 with windows xp in virtual mode. I've got the software installed and it opens up without any problems.

Unfortunately I don't really know much at all about networking or using PCs in general, so I'm pretty dim on even the most basic windows tasks.

- I'm using a crossover cable, I had one of the IT guys at work make it, I don't know for a fact that he didn't make a mistake.

- I've got the IP addresses set up according to the tascam manual.

- I think that I've got all the firewalls turned off, both in the XP and 7 modes.

What else might I look at? What can I verify to begin to narrow down the scope of problems?

Thanks!

I need a bit more info but here are some things to look for. Make sure the computer has the same IP address as the MX except for the last number, for example 192.168.10.1 for the MX and the computer something like 192.168.10.2 When the computer starts up it probably grabs the .1 which is the MX id.

You can get your computer behave by setting up an Alternate IP address that the computer will automatically swap to if something with the same ID shows up on the network.

control panel > local area connection > properties > select internet protocol, then properties > obtain IP address automatically should be selected > click Alternate configuration > select user configuration > set the IP address with the last number different to the MX last number > hit OK

The other thing that sometimes happens is that if the connection fails a few times during setting up the computer to MX addresses MX view gets confused, if you go to My computer > C drive > program files > TASCAM > Mx -view > you can click "clear preferences, this will freshen the program and clear all the past failed attempts.

Hope this helps
Alan.

Thanks for the reply Alan.

I brought the whole rig into work and sat down with one of the IT guys to see if we could figure it out. I think the problem is in 7 not knowing what to do with an unrecognized network.

Going into the network settings in the xp environment the status of the Local Area Connection is connected and shows sending and receiving data.

However, in the 7 environment the status shows as No Network Access. We could see data being sent but none received. My IT buddy explained something about the way 7 handles unrecognized networks and suggested trying the setup with a straight xp or 2000 machine.

I'm on the hunt for some such thing now, it's tough to find an old machine that hasn't been upgraded to a newer OS.

Many here have it working with vista, win7, and win 10, I think the it guy is off track. It is a simple network, you just tell the computer to recognise the mx by setting the IP address. Do you try my suggestions?

Alan

I should also point out that when trying to connect after turning on th mx you need to wait for a minute or so before opening mx view, trying to connect too soon can cause issues with connection pending messages.

When you try to connect on the network page in mx view does the mx2424 list as an available machine?

Alan

Many here have it working with vista, win7, and win 10, I think the it guy is off track. It is a simple network, you just tell the computer to recognise the mx by setting the IP address. Do you try my suggestions?

Alan

Yes, IP addresses are set up according to instructions.

I should also point out that when trying to connect after turning on th mx you need to wait for a minute or so before opening mx view, trying to connect too soon can cause issues with connection pending messages.

When you try to connect on the network page in mx view does the mx2424 list as an available machine?

Alan

I don't think so. I'm not really sure what that looks like. After clearing the preferences, and opening MX-View there's nothing in the network window. So I "make a new studio" within that studio I "make a new machine" I give that machine a name and IP address (the one in menu 950). The icon for the "machine" is a little globe. I double click that globe icon and get the connection error.

That is not what you should see, we are talking about the network window within mx view, not the windows network window?

In the mx view network window it displays a list of machines, their name and IP address,

The globe icon usually shows up as a project file.

I suggest you start again, often it's just a number wrong, clear everything first. You are not the first to have problems setting up, but they got there in the end.

Alan

Thanks for the help!
I'll shoot a video later today so you can see exactly what I'm seeing.

Got it working!
I kept googling and got to this page...
https://robkellysound.com/2015/02/08/tascam-mx-view-windows-8-1/

He has a link to download the MX View Program Files Folder. I copied that to my C: Drive Program Files folder and opened it directly from there.

It seems that virtual mode is what was causing the problem.

Thanks so much for the help. I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow with more questions.

Sorry, I thought you were past that and had mx view installed already or I would have sent you the folder.
Alan

Oh I just saw the video, you had it installed but not the drop it into the program folder way, glad you got it working, any other questions let us know.

Last edited:
Got it working!
I kept googling and got to this page...
https://robkellysound.com/2015/02/08/tascam-mx-view-windows-8-1/

He has a link to download the MX View Program Files Folder. I copied that to my C: Drive Program Files folder and opened it directly from there.

It seems that virtual mode is what was causing the problem.

Thanks so much for the help. I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow with more questions.
This is an old thread and even an older machine but I love the sound of the A/D converters! Mine's been in it's case for 10 years but I've been thinking about taking it out and playing with it. Did you say you had it working on Win 7?

I would probably be using it in Win 7. I believe this is a good stable version without a lot of the bells and whistles they have been adding to their script. Is it a straight install or do you need to go into properties and click the "install in XP mode?"

MX View install on newer Windows (after windows 2000)

You need the Tascam Folder from MX View that was previously installed on Windows 98. I have it available if you need it.

On you Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 10 machine, open the program folder on C drive. Copy the TASCAM folder containing the MX View files into the Program folder.

Open the TASCAM folder TASCAM and then MX View, find the MX-view icon (has a little picture of an MX2424. Right Click on the icon, Click Send To, Click on Desktop (create shortcut).

When you go to the desk top and click on the icon MX View will open. However it will not do anything until you network the computer to the MX2424 and set up the IP address.

Alan.

Sweet, I have a Desktop Win 7, I'm going to give it a try. (The reason I want to do this is because the MX View is on an old XP Lenovo Laptop. It needs to be updated if I ever want to use it again, haha. If it works on the desktop I'll update the laptop and put it back on it.) Thanks Alan

I would keep an old xp machine running if possible, I still have an xp tower in my studio and it runs almost everything, updating means a new sound card & new software. I still have a windows 98, windows 2000 and the xp kept in the studio for access to old projects. A new computer is cheap nowadays so it costs nothing to keep the old ones.

You're probably correct. I have an XP and 7 dual boot tower and an old Xp laptop. (not to mention another 2 other Win 7 towers and 2 other Win 10 laptops,) God do I really need that many computers?

New threads

Members online