UH-7000 Analog Line Capture of iPhone

Mark Cole

From
Spring Hill, Kansas
Gear owned
UH-7000
Is this possible?

Setup, OSX 10.9.2; Tascam UH-7000 and application UH-7000 mixer panel, latest drivers and firmware...

Audio setup on the MAC is both Output (UH-7000 Core Audio) and Input (UH-7000 Core Audio) with my monitors hooked up to the headphone jack on the from of the UH7000.

This way whatever I play on the computer, and guitar comes through the speakers GREAT!!!. Audio form Spotify as an example, to the speakers sounds great, full and rich... ish... Audio CAPTURED from the computer and or peripherals without a driver sounds horrible. E.G. Output of iphone connected to Analog 1 and trying to record something from a musical application for backing sounds bad. Audio quality? No driver present like a monitor? Is the signal that crappy sounding naturally?

For Analog 1 or 2 I connect my guitar AND either my Sonic Port or iphone. All guitar recording and play-through sounds awesome, Music via an app output on headphones and input with a quarter inch jack sounds just terrible???

All I want to do it play my guitar while listening to the backing track and have them both record at the same time. Worth noting that even playing music in Spotify with a Steromix and recording to say Garage Band with the music in the background.... Again it sounds just aweful.... No driver?

In summary, without another microphone on my backing track, is there a way to capture good audio from a device for backing and guitar at the same time from a computer or PDA?

UPDATE: Even playing MP3s through the device to my monitors in this manner sounds bad.

UPDATE: Ipad to MIC line in on my PC records the tracks into DAW just fine, this line level recording option isn't available through the UH-7000?

Last edited:
NICE!!! Thanks!!!

Really newb question here. That cable looks good but will take up both of my line inputs, would I need an external mixer if I wanted to add guitar into the mix too? E.G. My Cab mic-ed with a Sennheiser?

Last edited by a moderator:
That cable looks good but will take up both of my line inputs
Yes it does. You iPad sends STEREO signal (2 channels). You need 2 inputs to handle this.
would I need an external mixer if I wanted to add guitar into the mix too? E.G. My Cab mic-ed with a Sennheiser?
You have 3 options:
1. If your iPad can be switched to MONO, do it and only connect one of the plugs. Thios can be done even without switching to MONO, but then only one (left or right) channel from your iPad goes to UH and computer.
2. Pre-record iPad music into music software you're using (Garageband?) and play it back from there while playing guitar.
3. Buy an external pre-amp/converter, which you can plug into UH's DIGITAL IN.

Excellent, iOS does have a mono out setting under settings / accessibility, again many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.