Upgrade software in which order?


Dec 13, 2012
Long Island, NY
Gear owned
Dm 4800 imac Pro Tools 10
I've avoided all OS, firmware and pro tools updates for a while now because everything is stable. But I have a few open days in my studio so I'm going to take the plunge and upgrade my Mac OS, my mixer firmware and my PT 10.x version. Can you please tell me which order to do the upgrades? I'm guessing fw card firmware first to ensure everything works, then Mac OS, then Pro tools 10. If that all works, I may just buy PT 11 and upgrade after a few weeks of stability.

My current versions are:
Mac OS 10.8.5
Pro Tools 10.3.2
if fw/dm mkII 1.10(88685)

Also, anything else I should be aware of? I'm not particularly sys admin savvy, especially with Mac OS.

Thanks in advance!
I'm still at PT10.0. I suppose I should upgrade to the latest (what - 10.8.x?), but because it ain't broke, I'm fundamentally afraid to fix it.

From what I gather, the main reason to upgrade PT10 is to prepare it for PT11. In other words, you can't upgrade to 11 directly from 10, you have to go up a few versions, pass 'GO' and pay $200 - (figuratively speaking; it's probably more expensive than that.) And, if you decide to go to PT11, you're no doubt aware that all your 32 bit RTAS plug ins (if you care about them) will be incompatible with the 64 bit AAX flavors.

Anyway, if it were me, I'd do the Tascam upgrades first, then the Ptools after that. Ideally, PT (xx) will identify the new drivers during the upgrade process.

If anybody else - Mac users in particular - have better advice, please speak up. :)

Ok that's what I was thinking too. I guess its a stupid question, but I do the firmware upgrade through the TM companion, right?

Also, I'm in no rush to move to PT 11 but I think all of my plugins will work in 64 bit aax, I need to do a bit of research to be sure. its basically a waves bundle, a few individual waves, autotune, ozone, ezdrummer and maybe one or two others I'm not remembering and that I almost never use.

I hate doing upgrades as well, but my studio is used not only by me but by several of my instructors and I'm just afraid that someone is going to upgrade the OS system accidentally one day and everything will stop working so I'd rather control the chaos than be dragged into it.
I run on osx 10.8.4, PT10 & 11HD latest version. Tascam FW drivers v.1.22, Tascam Mixer Companion v.1.70. Anything runs stable. I don`t upgrade yet to Maverick or Yosemite because of incompatibilities Plugins and PT. Always upgrade Tascam drivers first then DAW as CaptDan says.
I recommend O/S first.
Then O/S patches -> drivers -> firmware.
Lastly the applications.
If you have errors you may then need to apply firmware updates again.

New threads

Members online