US-144mkII and macOS Catalina

Discussion in 'USB PC Audio Interfaces and Control Surfaces' started by fargo, May 22, 2020 at 12:39 AM.

1. fargo

fargo New Member

Gear:
    US-144MKi
    Hello there!

My US-144mkII is working well in Windows, but not with macOS Catalina!

I installed the latest driver for macOS found on tascam website (v.3.25rc2) and also updated the firmware to 2.03. The device is recognized and I can see it in System Preferences and in apps, such as Audacity and Reaper.

The problem is that no app can record from the device. When I click on monitor or record button, no signal is detected, only silence!

I really don't want to throw this mixer away and hope there is a way to make it working again in mac.
  2. fargo

fargo New Member

Gear:
    US-144MKi
    By the way, the remover that comes bundled with the driver dmg is a 32-bit app, which can't work with Catalina. I opened the remover app with a hex editor to see what files it removes. If anyone wants to manually remove US-144 and US-122 drivers from macOS Catalina, here are the files to delete:

/Library/Extensions/TASCAM_US1xx.kext
    /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/TASCAM_US1xx.plugin
    /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/TASCAM_US1xx.driver
    /Applications/TASCAM US-122MKII US-144MKII Control Panel.app
    /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/TASCAM US1xx MIDI Driver.plugin

Then restart the system.

Now, let's hope there is a way to make these mixer work again in Catalina :)
  3. Arjan P

Arjan P Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Gear:
    DM3200 IFFW
    I'm far from an Apple guy, but from reading topics I suspect your issue has to do with permissions in the OS to use the 'microphone', which defaults to not permitted. Just Google microphone permissions in Catalina.
    fargo likes this.
  4. fargo

fargo New Member

Gear:
    US-144MKi
    Thank you.

My apps already have permission to use the mic. I use Audacity and Reaper and can record from the built in mic but not from tascam’s
  5. fargo

fargo New Member

Gear:
    US-144MKi
    I received an email from tascam saying they have no intention to release an updated drive for US-144mkII to support Catalina. So, I digged for my old macbook pro (2006 model) and connected it to the mixer. I now have a dedicated sound recording rig :)
    Arjan P likes this.