US-144mkII and macOS Catalina

fargo

Gear owned
US-144MKi
Hello there!

My US-144mkII is working well in Windows, but not with macOS Catalina!

I installed the latest driver for macOS found on tascam website (v.3.25rc2) and also updated the firmware to 2.03. The device is recognized and I can see it in System Preferences and in apps, such as Audacity and Reaper.

The problem is that no app can record from the device. When I click on monitor or record button, no signal is detected, only silence!

I really don't want to throw this mixer away and hope there is a way to make it working again in mac.

By the way, the remover that comes bundled with the driver dmg is a 32-bit app, which can't work with Catalina. I opened the remover app with a hex editor to see what files it removes. If anyone wants to manually remove US-144 and US-122 drivers from macOS Catalina, here are the files to delete:

/Library/Extensions/TASCAM_US1xx.kext
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/TASCAM_US1xx.plugin
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/TASCAM_US1xx.driver
/Applications/TASCAM US-122MKII US-144MKII Control Panel.app
/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/TASCAM US1xx MIDI Driver.plugin

Then restart the system.

Now, let's hope there is a way to make these mixer work again in Catalina :)

I'm far from an Apple guy, but from reading topics I suspect your issue has to do with permissions in the OS to use the 'microphone', which defaults to not permitted. Just Google microphone permissions in Catalina.

Reactions: fargo
Thank you.

My apps already have permission to use the mic. I use Audacity and Reaper and can record from the built in mic but not from tascam’s

I received an email from tascam saying they have no intention to release an updated drive for US-144mkII to support Catalina. So, I digged for my old macbook pro (2006 model) and connected it to the mixer. I now have a dedicated sound recording rig :)

Reactions: Arjan P

New threads

Members online

No members online now.