Robbie Ferguson

From
Ontario, Canada
Website
category5.tv
Gear owned
DP-008EX, DP-24SD
Hi all,
I just got a US-16x08 and absolutely love it. However, it has a pretty major issue: The audio output stops working entirely and requires the unit be power cycled by unplugging it.

When the sound output fails (which appears random), the inputs appear to continue working. I have yet to experience any issues with the inputs. It is the output from the computer that stops.

I feel like this may be a driver issue since when it occurs, even the audio in Google Remote Desktop stops working unless I change to a different sound interface.

When power cycling the unit to "fix" the issue, it comes back immediately and starts working again, but sometimes has a very over-compressed sound at this point as if it is clipping, though it is not. So, unplug again, plug it back in, and presto, it works. For now.

Obviously, not a good scenario for our studio. So if my unit is defective, I will quickly want to act on a replacement.

A bit more info:
  • Windows 10, current updates applied.
  • Firmware on the US-16x08 is current.
  • Drivers are current to when I installed them, roughly 3 weeks ago.
  • i9 9900k, 128 GB RAM, etc.
  • DAW is irrelevant: It happens no matter what source is playing the audio.
  • I'm using computer out to stereo bus, Master L and Master R on Line Out 1 and Line Out 2.
Would appreciate some direction. There isn't much to the unit itself as far as things to try. I've enabled and disabled the auto power-save mode switch, which has no impact on the issue.

I realize this is a community forum, so having not received a reply as of yet, figure I'm alone in this issue. I called the TEAC headquarters and actually got through to a support rep in just moments, and he suggested maybe, just maybe it's the USB port or cable. Says if I have it plugged into a USB 3.x port (which knowing me, I do), to try plugging it into a USB 2.x port.

So I'll drive down to the studio this weekend and move the cable to a different port and see if it continues to happen. I'll update here just in case anyone else ever encounters this in future.

I'm using the cable that came with it, so I doubt it's that.

Will update after further testing.

Reactions: -mjk-
I have a total different setup than you do Robbie, but I had USB audio problems with USB power management turned on in Windows. I turned that off and those ports never went to sleep after that.

Wow, -mjk- that makes a LOT of sense. Thanks for the thought. It never crossed my mind to check power settings on Windows 10. Sure enough, I found this "USB selective suspend" feature in the power management, which even with the high performance profile is enabled. I have disabled it and rebooted, and will give it a few days to see if the problem happens again. I won't change the cable or anything yet... I'll give your suggestion a try first since it totally makes sense.

Thanks! You're a super-star.

Robbie

Just been-there-done-that Robbie. That might not be the answer but it's certainly free to try it.

Great. Maybe that can help someone else avoid that issue.

you might want to read the 20 page document "Glitch free" which lists all the changes you need to make to Windows to try and eliminate the glitches that inevitably arise.I'm trying to find a link to it

Well, sad to report the power setting didn't fix it. We had the playback audio stop outputting twice during Wednesday's session.

That said, I might have found a link... at the end of the night, I shut down our cameras. I was listening to music while doing that, and it was in that same instant (turning off the camera) that the sound stopped. So I wonder if the change in signal is what's tripping the device up. Or maybe Windows itself is going wonky in that moment and power cycling the TASCAM only fixes it because it forces Windows to reload the device.

So, needless to say, more testing required... but thought I'd update you folks as I learn more.

@BazzBass I'm not sure what that document is, but sounds riveting :D I'd totally love to read it if you find it.

Cheers, have a great weekend all.

I did all that and still got glitches

I gave up on windows daws for this reason. go Tascam !

I have been having the same issue for a year now and Tascam has done nothing to fix it. I have an expensive large paperweight in the middle of my studio now. Ive just switched to Logic Pro to see if that would help at all as Ive been using Reaper. Nope. Same audio drops out randomly. Yes, all my sample rates line up. Yes I have all the latest firmware. Yes my iMac is rock solid with a fresh install on 10.13.6. Ive been a user of Tascam for over 20 years, but it seems theyve pulled the plug on quality control and customer support. Bummer

New threads

Members online