US 2x2 drives me insane

aelus

Gear owned
US 2x2
TL; DR: basically, if I want to use this audio interface as an external sound card -- an upgrade over the builtin -- I'm screwed?

First off, the software bundle installs a mixer, which helps itself as the default device on each boot. I don't like it at all, since the sound quality is horrible -- maybe because the mixer works strictly in 16/44.1. Definitely not an upgrade over HD Audio. I uninstall it. The sound of the "US 2x2" device itself is great, no problems with output.
The input is what drives me up a wall. When I boot the system -- windows device reports normal input. Once I join one of my voice chat apps -- the sound is gone. (Signal LED on the device keeps working fine though). Once I leave the voice app -- the sound is back. I have to plug it off and on again for it to keep working. Should I god forbid try to output something using exclusive mode -- I'm back at sq. 1, having to replug, even if I close the offending app and restart the services, etc, etc.

Recently I have learned that in the year of our Lord 2018 Microsoft has finally released an audiodriver for USB Class 2.0 audio devices. I decided to switch from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 to give it a spin (and possibly ditch the TASCAM drivers altogether). As if. The driver doesn't even get up, bringing up outlandish claims like "This device cannot start. (Code 10) An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function. A feedback endpoint implemented by device <> is unusable because its bInterval value is not supported. Audio glitches might occur." Seems like "USB Class 2.0 - compliant" part in the advertising pamphlet isn't quite true eh?

I have contacted the support with my woes, and unsurprisingly, was not contacted back. Not much info on the internet either. Was I the only one who bought it with a broader purpose in mind? All in all, I'm pretty angry about this situation. I'm way past every return at this point, and all I want is not a glorified $150 paperweight.

Hi.
I recently bought a US 1x2. I noticed the exact same thing. Every time you restart windows the default speakers are set to "mixing driver 2 for US1x2", even tought I strictly set it to be "US1x2", which is the one I need to use in order to get the best performance with guitar VST software. This annoys me, since I have to change it every time I boot.
I see you are using the 2x2 with a voice app. I don´t know if the software in the 2x2 is similar to the 1x2, but the manual says that for voice apps you should choose the "mixing driver for US1x2" in windows settings and set the "operate mode" of the tascam software to "Talking" preset.

Hi Patricio,
Thank you; I saw that part in the manual. I have uninstalled settings panel (and with it, both mixing drivers) for above reasons. With it, everything works kinda fine -- if you don't mind the 16 bit quality. I do. Why on earth do we need a software mixer anyway -- Windows already can output in shared mode via WASAPI? I proved it by actually using voice apps (skype and discord) with the 24-bit device successfully, if after a few replugs and whatnot.
As a casual consumer, I also have no desire to switch back and forth between "modes" whenever I decide to use a different app. Maybe a DAW mode is fine, but "talking"?
That brings me to the original question -- can this box (although very neatly designed) beat Intel HD Audio (2004) with its consumer qualities?

Aelus, I managed to solve the issue on the "mixing driver" setting itself as default on each boot. I disabled the the load of the tascam software from the "msconfig" menu and now I can set it to "US1x2" and it will remain this way on each boot.
If I manually start the software it will set "mixing driver" as default again.
I´m afraid I can´t help you with your problem with the voice apps beacause I don´t have a mic to test the input. I use the interface with guitar apps.
Regarding your question to the interface being an improvement over the onboard sound card, I think the major advantage is the mic pre and the phantom power. You can use a condenser mic with the tascam. This is not possible with the internal sound card.

Very interesting about simply disabling the mixer's startup, thanks for that Patricio.
Don't bother about my questions too much, they are largely rhetorical as I'm mostly venting my frustration here. Though maybe if TASCAMs staff browses these forums they'd feel crying shame for their faulty drivers and make one that works after almost 4 years? I know Steinberg did, as well as some others (who make serious hardware outside my price range).

Yeah. Steinberg makes excellent drivers. I had a Yamaha THR which uses Steinberg´s ASIO drivers and they are very good.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.