US-2x2HR line outs

Simonoakley1962

Gear owned
MD-02B (x2); DR-07X; US-2
Hello all,

Question from a newbie: are the balanced line out jacks on the rear of the US-2x2HR mono or stereo? That is to say I want to connect into a device that has 2 XLR (female) L/R inputs, so do I need 2 x TRS to XLR (male) mono cables from lineouts 1 and 2 to the L/R device inputs, or do I need something like a single TRS to 2 x XLR male? I've studied both the owner's and reference manuals and it's not clear.

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

Don't confuse TS/TRS for mono/stereo. I suggest doing some reading to understand the different uses for BALANCED/UNBALANCED cables. While it's true some stereo cables are TRS, that's not the whole picture. Mono/stereo would partly be determined by software settings, not just cable connections alone. The 2x2HR's LINE OUT 1 & 2 are separate BALANCED outputs (one channel per output). Normally LEFT= LINE OUT 1 and RIGHT= LINE OUT 2. Depending on the software configuration, it can output either one stereo signal by using LINE OUT 1 & 2 together as a pair (L=1/R=2), or mono from one or both channels. So your second cable example: "a single TRS to 2 x XLR male" - definitely won't work for stereo output in that situation.

As for connecting the LINE OUTs to other devices, it really depends on whether their inputs are BALANCED or not. It'd be unusual for XLR inputs to be UNBALANCED, but you never know, lol. Assuming they are BALANCED, then it's best to use two separate BALANCED TRS to XLR cables.

Of course, it would help to know what the other gear is to be sure...

Hi there, thanks for the advice. The other gear is either a Tascam MD-02B, XLR balanced inputs, its' balanced XLR outs currently connected to a Teac AX-501 amp which has XLR balanced inputs. So, I could connect the US-2x2HR balanced line outs into the MD-02B's XLR inputs and use it as a monitor, or I could connect directly from the US-2x2HR to the AX-501 (and return the MD02B to unbalanced connections). Thanks again - it was the LEFT=LINE OUT 1 etc that I hadn't been able to ascertain from any literature.

Reactions: cripple9
That should work. Generally, if you have the option to use BALANCED connections, that would almost always be the best way to go.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.