US-2x2HR with iPadOS, external power supply

Nauset Surf

Gear owned
Tascam US 2x2 HR
I took a chance on the new US-2x2HR and I’m wondering if was a mistake.

I currently record with my iPad (w/lightning connector) using GarageBand which works well for me.

When I received the unit I tried using the camera connection kit with external power and the US-2x2HR was not functioning (flashing USB light, no output signal). It turns out the camera connection kit only supplies power to the iPad. I checked the manual and discovered this:

“When this unit is connected to an iOS device, connecting a dedicated AC adapter is necessary to supply power to the unit. Connect the dedicated AC adapter before connecting the USB cable.“​

That requirement is not really standard for audio interfaces that advertise themselves as being iOS-compatible.

To meet that requirement I have to shell out another $30 for the AC adapter. I’m wondering if this unit really stacks up when I add the cost of the AC unit in. Also, it limits the possibilities for outlet-free mobile recording. As an alternative, the Steinberg UR22c comes to mind.

I decided to connect the unit to a powered USB hub and it seems to work fine for recording instrument and dynamic mic input simultaneously. I don’t have a condenser mic but I wonder if phantom power will become a tipping point in terms of requiring an AC adapter. Any thoughts?

I’m curious, why does this unit require so much more power than similarly spec’d units?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.