Us 428 and windows 10

Beppe

Gear owned
us 428
Hi all !
I'm new here.
I own now a new notebook with windows 10.
I used a trusty US 428 with my old notebook (Vista 32 bit) and it was a faultless system until the notebook has died :-( .
Now I'm in trouble because there's no 64 bit driver for the US 428 in Windows 10.
Can someone help me ?
Thank you in advance.
Ciao
Beppe

it is possible to get the tascam working with windows 10, what you need to do is download the previous drivers, as I don't think 3.40 would install like this first off, I ended up using 3.30 64-bit vista version. once you installed the vista version, then windows 10 will allow you to install 3.40.
1) right click on the driver
2) select properties
3) compatability
4) tick compatability mode
5) in the list select Windows Vista
5.5) Click apply (Edited as forgotten this)
6) click ok
7) right click on the driver
8) run as admin
9) install : somewhere during installation Windows will come up as some drivers could not be verified, tell windows to install these drivers anyway
10) go to Start/Windows System/Control Panel/System/Device Manager
11) it will come up as (!) next to the driver, make sure to tell it where the driver is in C:\Program Files\US428
12) restart computer, and then go back to Device Manager and it should be working properly for you
13) Smile!! loldevice manager.jpg

Last edited:
If that fails try using the driver for vista, and same as instructions above, as can't remember which driver it was, as downloaded 3.40 and vista, but think 3.40 wouldn't install

I tried to install the US 428 Windows Drivers v. 3.30 64 Bit Windows driver but it's not possible to install it : ERROR Can't install on this version of Windows.
:(

it looks like something went wrong with the compatibility mode, as I was getting that when trying to install first off. sorry I forgotten to say apply settings for compatibility mode as well. my revised instructions should help now, sorry I was in a bit of a rush earlier to go to parents place. US-428.jpg

Last edited:
also I know what it is like trying to find this information on the internet, as I was searching when Windows Vista first came out. and ended up in the same boat, apart from having a 2nd pc still running xp. then when windows 7 came out I kind of remembered it, but still had to remind myself, and now windows 10 is out, then I remembered, but only connected my Tascam to my computer yesterday morning so I could use a microphone for teamspeak as friends were complaining my headset microphone was too quiet. even though the recording for the microphone was on 100%.

Last edited:
please let me know how it goes, and whether it is working

Bad news. Still it's not working. No USB light on the us 428

I am kind of puzzled apart from thinking maybe it is a wire problem or an incompatibility with your version of Windows 10, as I done the free upgrade from Windows 7 - 10. I tried again via removing the registry keys, removing the drivers, and removing the icon from device manager, and then refreshing/recheck drivers in device manager, it came up with Tascam (firmware download) with the caution symbol, the only light I had on was the one for "Analog"/Digital, re-installed 3.40 64bit version, it did cause an error right at the end, but doesn't seem to have affected the installation as far as I know. then rebooted, then when I got into windows 10 the USB led, and the orange LOW light came on together, and the device manager says there is nothing wrong with my drivers, so have you checked the usb cable for any damage? do you have the Analog/Digital light on? or the orange Low or Input monitor led's light up? if you got one of the orange led's light up then maybe it is just a faulty USB led. all of the other lights won't work unless using music software

the only other thing is whether it is plugged into a multi usb adaptor, instead of straight into the laptop

any update on this??? i am having the same problem

Last edited:
dude, that worked. i can't believe it worked haha. thanks so much! i even mailed tascam and they said it wouldn't work. HA! now if only i can solve the latency issues

What latency issues are you having?

What is your whole rig set up?

well i am using ableton with the tascam. i have a guitar plugged into the tascam but when i strum the guitar theres a lag in between the sound played and sound of the guitar

That's probably because you listen to the guitar through Ableton - quite a detour. Just listen to the guitar directly and switch off monitoring of the recorded track in Ableton.

I can't really do that because of the effects im using on the guitar

Then you have to either accept the latency or add effects to your real time monitoring chain instead of the DAW while recording.

What DAW works best with this interface and a windows 10 machine?

Comfortably using all 4 inputs in a live recording?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.