US2X2 audio drivers - complete loss of sound from MIDI drums

ry1633

Gear owned
TASCAM US2X2
I am using Cakewalk with my US2X2 in a Windows 10 Pro/64-bit environment. I've had this happen several times and I think it has to do with the seemingly lesser-quality and problematic drivers of the US2X2.

I have my song project completely done with drum track and everything (using Steven Slate SSD5 in this case), and all of the sudden with no warning whatsoever I lose the audio from the drum synth track. No changes at all in the track routing, signal flow or other settings. Just working along, and poof no sound from the drums. The track is not muted and has not been altered in anyway. Changing audio mode does not help - ASIO, WASAPI, and MME all do the same thing - nothing. Creating a new soft synth track instance of the SSD5 in the same project does not help either - no sound from it

Has anyone had this happen with MIDI synth tracks and the US2X2? My only solution thus far has been to create a brand new blank project, cut each track out of the old project and into the new (with an instance of the SSD5 synth, etc). This is a process that I don't want to have to go through each time this happens. I would like to get to the bottom of why this is happening. It something with the audio drivers I'm pretty sure of it. When I go to mixdown the project to MP3 or WAV the drum audio is missing and silent there as well. The track has MIDI data in it and is routed to the synth and output bus correctly.

I was having tons of issues with MIDI in Cakewalk as well (I have a US-16x08). I eventually got everything working by changing the MIDI driver mode from UWP to MME. Try closing any running projects in Cakewalk and go to: "Settings > MIDI > Playback and Recording > Driver Mode" If it's set to UWP, try switching to MME.

Hopefully that will help.

I actually did have set to MME for my MIDI driver move, I changed it back and forth to UWP and to MME again and it didn't help. I see all the MIDI data in the track, the SSD synth is routed properly, the track is not muted or solo'ed. But no sound. In the intro fill hear a brief sizzle like it's trying to play one of the cymbal hits, but otherwise no sound at all on the drum track. When I try to add a brand new synth track of SSD4 or 5 it doesn't help either, that track is silent too.

It'll probably work in a days from now if I reboot my computer and unplug my interface enough times. :)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.