USB not recognized by Windows 10, firmware update - work around; No Click in Headphones - workaround

Novice12MTR

Gear owned
TascamMdl12MTR
I Pre-installed the Tascam Windows 10 App of the unit to my Windows 10 PC.

To update the Firmware I tried to connect using the recommended cable, in my case a 5 ft USB 3.0 to USB 2.0. on a Windows 10 OS PC.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H, native USB 2.00. Windows not only complained that it does not recognize the device, but on searching the Windows / System32 /driver folder I found no 'model12??.sys' nor anything like a 'tasc???.sys' , so the failed USB thing is not a Windows thing. More likely incorrect paths in the Tascam Windows 10 app.

Firmware Update Workaround.

On the PC, download and expand the Firmware update zip file. In it there will be one file - in my case it is named 'Model12_0088.130' - for the update - RTM for more exact instructions.

You need to have a Model12 SD memory card installed and properly working, RTM. The unit will format a new card, please do that while it is turned on, again RTM for more elaborate directions. When complete turn off the unit, make sure the power is off by disconnecting the power cord from the mains outlet.

Remove the SD memory card from the unit, and using a card reader insert it into any available USB port on the PC. Next, on the card, browse to the 'Utility' folder.

Now copy the update file from your PC to the 'Utility' folder on the SD memory card; my file name is Model12_0088.130

Next with your unit powered off, re-insert the SD memory card into it. To make sure everything is Ok, turn it on. It will boot up just fine :0). Then turn it off again.

Follow the Firmware update PDF on the rest of the process.
Tascam12MTR/e_model-12_fw-update_va.pdf

"Turn the unit on while pressing at the same time both the 'Stop' and 'Fast Reverse' buttons .
This will start the unit in update mode, and the update file
will appear on the display"

In my case the update installed correctly!

But we are not quite done yet. According to directions, linked above, we need to turn off the power to the unit, remove the SD memory card, and insert it into the PC again. This time browse to the 'Utility' folder, there delete the update binary file 'Model12_0088.130' , or whatever yours is.

Reverse these steps reinserting the SD memory card into your Model12, then turn on the power.

Done.

'No click in my headphones' Workaround.

First easiest option, 1/4 in TRS cable from "Click" socket on the back panel of the unit to a spare input on your amp/speaker system.

Second one you need a couple of extra adapters plugged into the Sub jacks on the back of the unit. In my case I had 2 1/4 phono to DIN adapters, and a handy DIN stereo Y to 3.5 MM female stereo adapter. Into it I plugged my 3.5 mm male Headphones jack.

In the Click settings of the Menu turn on the Click for the Sub Bus.

Now hook up the headphones to the Sub jacks, and simply press the SUB button on the Channel/s you are working on, then bring up the main SUB fader until you can hear the Metronome Click.

WRT To hearing a louder Click when preparing a Drum track, I found the first a better plan because then had a vastly louder Click against the loud drum track sounds. The second approach is better for quiet instruments.

Done.

Last edited:
Reactions: AltTuning
@Blue Monster 65.
Thank you for the tip.

Well in my case there remains the problem outlined in the manual, other USB devices. I have both USB keyboard and mouse hookup to the MB. Yes I could adapt with a Wifi kit, card KB and mouse.

But that assumes I want to run a DAW. Instead for transfer, to and from the PC, I rely on an audio cable, via Line-in on the MB sound card. That works very well with Audacity.

UPDATE:
1/4/22
I made a mistake above. It is not my USB mouse and keyboard that causes a problem but too long a USB cable. My vendor replaced the Model 12 with another which does not have a Headphone problem. In the box there came a Tascam USB cable, 1 meter long, which does allow the PC and Model 12 to connect. Sorry for my mistake.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online