Use of Pitch Correction Software

Craig Jolly

Gear owned
Tascam DPS 32
I have a couple of songs that are really tough to sing. Is there any way to easily incorporate pitch correction software into 32-DPS recordings? If so, how does it work? What's the easiest way to do it for someone who isn't too tech-savvy. Thanks for your help. God, I wish I could sing in key!

A couple ways to do this:

• Hook up a standalone pitch corrector, such as a the Antares ATR-1 or the TC Electronic Intonator. Doing this will require putting a preamp between the mic and pitch corrector, and hooking up the pitch corrector’s output to the Tascam.
  • Sing, then use the PortaStudio’s audio depot to import the track in to a computer. This works, but requires using computer software to fix the pitch for the vocals.
Personally, I wish the Portastudios had a way to allow third party plugins to process sound. I would love to see someone like Sean Costello at ValhallaDSP be able to implement his own reverbs for the Portastudios. But, unfortunately, that never happened; the tricky part is to use a DSP which is developer friendly while dirt cheap (Spin FV-1 perhaps, it’s cheap enough, but it would take up more room on the circuit board, and it’s limited in a lot of ways).

Sam:

Thanks for your insights. Both of these options appear to be way beyond my capabilities. I have a friend who works at a quality studio in town. I have taken four of my songs to him to mix and master. They have tons of harmonies. He only had to use pitch correction on one song. I'm proud of that. But the next song I've got is really tough. I think I will just accept that on difficult songs to sing I will need his help.

Thank you again for thinking it through.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.