Using Boss BR-800 as a Effects Processor

JP Illes

From
Columbus, IN
Gear owned
DP-32sd, Mini Disk 564
I started this out as a post in the "Definitive Summary of Effects" Sticky, asking if anyone had tried using the Boss BR-800 as an Effects Processor. I said I would post a report on my experience using the BR-800 effects sent through the Send Effects of the DP32sd. It works very well. Here is the process that I used:

First, I set the Input Select on the BR-800 to LINE IN, then selected the first Effect Patch. This allowed access to a set of effects that can be used in series with an individual ON/OFF for each one. The available Effects are:

Compressor/Limiter
Lo-fi
Noise Suppressor
Modulation (11 Different Effects )
Chorus
Delay

For my test I used my Main Vocal Track (Track 5 in my case) and Track 6 as my Target Track. I plugged the Input of the BR-800 to SEND 2. I plugged the Output from the BR-800 into Input C of the DP32. Then I set the DP32 as follows:

1. Selected Track 5
2. Send Eff2 and Master2 of Track 5 to the maximum of 127.
3. Select Send Eff2 on Track 6 to OFF.
4. Assign Track 6 to Input C
5. Assign Input C to Stereo Bus C
6. Armed Record on Track 6

In this case I turned off all of the Effects on the BR-800 except for Delay. I could have chained multiple effects if wanted or required.

After plugging in the Input and Outputs of the BR-800, I Armed Record.

With monitor set to Stereo, I pressed play on the DP32 and adjusted the Delay Effect controls on the BR-800. When I was satisfied with amount of Delay Effect, I pressed Record on the DP32.

The result recorded Track 5 onto Track 6 plus the Delay Effect.

It worked perfectly. Now that I know that it works I can go back and add and enhanced EQ and compression to Each my other tracks as required for a mix down. I am using SEND 1 in the DP32 for my reverb effect as needed on each of my tracks.

That's my report...

Nice job!
Some Gain Staging questions:
  • Where did you set the Track 5 Fader?
  • Was Track 5 Send Eff 2 set to Pre or Post?
  • Where did you set the BR-800's input and output levels?
  • Where did you set the Input C Trim Knob?
  • In the Mixer screen, where did you set the Input C internal Fader level?
  • Did you apply any EQ or Dynamic Effects to Input C?
  • Where was the Input C Pan Knob set?
  • Where did you set the Track 6 Fader?

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
  • Where did you set the Track 5 Fader?
  • Unity
  • Was Track 5 Send Eff 2 set to Pre or Post?
  • Input set at about 11:00, Output fader about 2/3 up
  • Where did you set the Input C Trim Knob?
  • 1:00
  • In the Mixer screen, where did you set the Input C internal Fader level?
  • Left at unity
  • Did you apply any EQ or Dynamic Effects to Input C?
  • Not at this time...
  • Where was the Input C Pan Knob set?
  • Unity
  • Where did you set the Track 6 Fader?
  • Unity

Went up to the studio this morning and found one of my responces was in error.

• Record Level set at 2:00 , Output fader set at unity

Track 5, Track 6, and Input C are all feeding the Stereo Bus at the same time.

Typically you wouldn't want to monitor a tripled audio signal on the Stereo Bus, particularly when two of them are the same signal from the outboard gear.

The result recorded Track 5 onto Track 6 plus the Delay Effect.

Next time, try this (an adaptation of the information in the stickies):
  • Don't Assign Input C to the Stereo Bus (not necessary).
  • Set Track 5 Send Eff2 to Pre.
  • Set Send Eff2 Master Knob to 127.
  • Set the BR-800 input control to unity gain or an appropriate lower level.
  • Use the Track 5 Send Eff2 Knob to control the BR-800's incoming signal level.
  • Set Track 5 Fader Off (inf) to remove it from the Stereo Bus.
  • Set Input C Trim Knob full CCW (Line) and set the BR-800's output level, up to unity gain, to control the Input C/Track 6 incoming Record signal level.
  • Leave all other Track 5, Track 6, and Input C Mixer Screen and Input C Dynamic Effects in their default settings if you don't wish to apply them.
  • Place the portastudio in Record Ready to monitor the signal coming in on Input C/Track 6.
  • Set the Stereo Bus Fader to unity gain (all the way up).
  • Use only the Track 6 Fader at unity gain or less to monitor the blended/processed audio signal on the Stereo Bus.
This setup will:
  • Give you a clean signal throughput and an accurate representation of the actual blended signal on Track 6.
  • Minimize the risk of introducing intra-sampling distortion that the peak meters won't see.
  • Allow you to use the Track 6 meter to assess the incoming signal level; and the Track 6 Fader and the Stereo Bus Meters to evaluate the recorded (blended) Track 6 output signal level.

Last edited:
Mark, I tried your process and it worked when I sent my Vocal Track 5 + Delay to my Target Track 6. It worked pretty well. I tried again with a Source Track + BR-800 compression to a Target Track. This didn't work so well, the Target Track with the compression came out all distorted.. It wasn't that way when I monitored it before recording.. The compression effect in the BR-800 is a bit weird, none of the attributes are the same as any other compressor that I have looked at. I am going to try doing a source track with EQ to a Target Track. That's the one I am really interested in.. If that doesn't work then I am going to hang up using the BR-800 as an effects processor, and just use for guitar and bass COSM effects for recording those tracks, that works really well..

Reactions: -mjk-
@JP Illes don't give up man. Have a shot of single malt and give it a go. Distortion is all about gain staging. I'm positive that you can figure out how the gain structure is creating distortion.

Reactions: Mark Richards

New threads

Members online

No members online now.