Using FW1884 with mac 10.8

robbocchino

Gear owned
Fw1884
I am hoping that the fw1884 willl work with Mac OS 10.8. Anyone know if it will and how to get the latest drivers...thanks

I'm wondering the same thing (whether it will work with 10.8), have you had any luck with yours yet?

I am on 10.7.5. And FW-1884 works just fine. Just install the drivers and see what will happen. No reason not to work.

Well I've downloaded the drivers but my Macbook Pro doesn't "see" the tascam fw1884. The firewire light doesn't turn on or anything... I haven't bought a recording software yet (I'm thinking logic), so do I need to be in the recording software for the firewire light to turn on and be recognized by my computer?

No, you don't need recording software. Now, uninstall the drivers. Unplug FW1884 from the computer and do not plugi in it for now. Install the drivers, shut down the computer. Plug in FW-1884 in the computer, start the computer, turn on FW-1884.

The 1884 will NOT work with OS 10.8

It will not work in 64 bit mode.

You have to run 10.7

Bummer.

They wrote new 64 bit windows drivers but not for mac OS.

I have to run two boot discs and restart to record music now.

Not happy!

damn.... oh well, thx for an answer! it took a while to get one... now i guess i'll sell it

[Hello:

This is probably a stupid question but, did you try the other FW port on your unit?

Thanks.

quote="yamahadrums"]No, you don't need recording software. Now, uninstall the drivers. Unplug FW1884 from the computer and do not plugi in it for now. Install the drivers, shut down the computer. Plug in FW-1884 in the computer, start the computer, turn on FW-1884.[/quote]

Still no update for Mac OS 10.8

What's up Tascam?

I paid a lot for this FW1884 it should last ten years don't you think?

Please.

:twisted:

Very sadly, leave it.
As other users here, I bought a new retina macbook pro mid-2012.
I tried all the solutions suggested on the internet and the only way to make it work is to build a windows partition with windows 64bit and, obviously, get all the audio software running 64bit. A pain in the a...rm, considering the total cost of the software and the alternatives to FW-1884.
Cheers.

I hadn't read any response from Tascam about this. Just a "we won't do it" or "we are working on it" to let ppl know what to expect would be fine.
Anyway, I'm looking for some replacement for the 1884 (or the 1082) and can't find anything remotely similar. Any suggestions ?
Cheers,

I have had success using the FW-1884 in 64-bit mode in OS 10.6.8. It has to be connect through MIDI as well as Firewire.

I just upgraded to OS 10.9 and have yet to try the tascam since the upgrade. I'm curious though if it will still function just as an HUI MIDI controller without the audio drivers

Would you please elaborate?

Did you succeed to make it fully working (i.e. control surface/audio interface)?

Are you able to access the control panel and adjust the settings/routings?

Will it work as an aggregate device under Logic X?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Thank you so much.
I'm posting my reply here as well :

Hey jcb7r,

thank you very much for taking the time to go into the details.

I'll look into a firewire 400 bus, as this is propbably the main reason my iMac failed to recognize the Tascam in the first instance.
Furthermore, I have a Scarlett 18i20 (which I gather it's the USB version of the Saffire Pro 40) so I guess I'll be sticking to your plan.
I'll post my results as well.

Thank you so far

Ok guys and gals, I found the solution, apologies if this is elsewhere but I searched for ages and couldn't find it. I just worked this out by accident. So... I updated to mac 10.7.5 and my beloved Tascam FW1884 disappeared. Its all apparently due to drivers which no one is updating - grrr.

However, went into System details and noticed its not just Tascam thats affected, its Firewire in general. Now I don't know why I decided to this next bit but I did. Basically I booted up the iMac in 32-bit kernel mode. Hey presto, everythings happy again.

Like I say this may just solve my problems, it may posted elsewhere on the net, but maybe it will also stop your FW1884 being an expensive paperweight!!

Good Luck!!!

This link explains how to boot up in 32-bit kernel mode, both methods work.....
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3773

Hello to anyone out there! This is a long shot question seeing that the Tascam FW-1884 has only worked with MacOS 10.6 up to this point, but here it goes.
Has anyone tried to connect the FW-1884 to an iMacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave) ?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.