Vocal track effects

THOMAS GRINHAM

Gear owned
Tascam Dp-008EX
I'm writing a song about the 20's and I'm wondering if there is a way to make the vocal sound like some of the recordings back then. Almost sounds like a tinny megaphone sound. Does anyone know how I can reproduce that sound. If not digitally, maybe something I can sing through?

Thanks,

For the mixdown, roll off the vocal below 500Hz by at least 12dB; enhance everything 500Hz and above starting at about 6dB; adjust until you hear what you want (or a close approximation).

For the "crackling" sound of the needle in the record groove, use old school FX: On a separate track, experiment with the sound of paper, heavy cellophane (like an envelop window), a snack wrapper, or something similar being crunched between your fingers. Record and then replicate the recorded sound (Copy/Paste) to create the length you need. When you do the mixdown, EQ to taste and blend in with the vocal track.

Last edited:
Mark,

Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I didn't even think about the crackling sound. Great suggestions. I'm definitely going to do that.

Unfortunately, I'm new to recording and have been using pre-sets on the two recordings I've done so far so I don't understand the adjustments you're talking about or how to make them.

I really want to get it because I think it would add a lot to the song. If it wouldn't be too time consuming for you to give me a "dummies" explanation of how to make the adjustments that would be great. If that's too much to ask perhaps you could direct me to website that I could learn more about these settings and how to make them. Looks like the quote at the bottom of your post is true!

In any case, I want to thank you again for helping me out. Very kind of you.

Tom

Reactions: Mark Richards
Tom,
For the mechanics of using EQ, please refer to your owner manual, as the mechanics for how to make the adjustments will be specific to your DP-008EX.
Section 9.
Topic: Track Equalizers.​
If you don't have your print copy handy, the Owner Manual is available on the TASCAM website.

Jeff Strong wrote an excellent beginners book published in Nov 2020 (so it's fairly current), "Home Recording" (part of the "Dummies" series of books). He covers all the basics in an easy to digest way. Chapter 17's title is "Using Equalization".
Available on Amazon (Kindle and print versions).

Last edited:

New threads

Members online