Volume editing of track segment?

ScottCal

Gear owned
DP-24SD
Hi! I'm new to this forum. I've used a Korg D16 for the last 16 years, it died, I just replaced it with a Tascam DP-24Sd, and so far, I'm loving it. Especially the ease in which I can exchange wav files with my Mac.

A technical recording question: on the Korg, I could set "Scenes" in which I could, for instance, lower an unusually loud passage of a track for playback and mastering. Is there any way to adjust the volume of a specific section of one (mono or stereo) track within a song? Thank you!

Hi Scott, I guess you're implying there are too many faders to adjust if you left it till the mixing phase, so the only way I can think of is to use Track Edit to cut/paste the loud section(s) to a spare track, then lower the level of that track during the mix. A longer way would be to bounce the track and lower that one fader at the reqd. points, then use that track for the mix instead of the original. Either way, it doesn't seem as slick as what you describe with the D16 - sounds a nice DAW-like feature to have!

I don't have this unit but is possible to export the track's WAV to your MAC, edit quickly there and then import it back into your DP-24SD project?

Thank you both for your replies!

Phil: Never too many faders.:ugeek: I guess the Korg was unique in "automating" things like level changes with the Scenes feature—I've used Audacity on the computer and it doesn't have such a feature either, short of, as cmaffia suggests, editing a wav by using, say, Amplify.

And, cmaffia, that was sort of what I was wondering—trying to avoid bringing things back to the computer before the final rendering. At more recent points with the Korg, I did export the individual wav files and mix/master the final in the Mac (and sometimes I did it in the recorder) but I had been wondering if this has that ability to edit the wav track in that way. Sounds like, if I haven't used up all the tracks, the best solution is to move that patch to another channel and make it slightly softer when creating the master. I tend to have too many dynamics, especially on my vocals, and a typical song might have had eight automated scenes or so on the old recorder.

All in all, I'm loving this DP-24SD. It has a great sound and a very professional heavy-duty feel to it and ease of moving things to the computer is awesome.

An additional question, if you don't mind: Is there any advantage in using the USB cable (which I already have done) to connect the computer over just taking out the card and moving files from that back and forth from the computer (which I have also tried). (My computer is in a different room than my music room.)

Thanks again!
—Sc

I love recording with my DP24. I HATE trying to edit on my DP24. So I don't. I EXPORT the tracks, and then use REAPER on my Mac for editing, mixing, and mastering. What the OP wants to do is simple in a DAW. Once I've gone to the computer I don't return the files to the DP24 (and don't know why I might).

I usually remove the card and put it into my computer. One caveat: be very careful when inserting a card into the DP24. The connector is PC-board based, and I've read of users having to have it repaired/replaced. I've had no issue.

Thanks, RustyAxe! That is very helpful and probably what I'll wind up doing.
I have tried Reaper (one of my band members swears by it), and I just cannot warm up to it. He did say it has a Scene-like capability. Audacity feels so much more intuitive to me—maybe because it's more simple and Reaper overwhelms me. Perhaps I should give it another look.

And thanks for the tip about the card! It did occur to me that the cards themselves might be a bit fragile. I guess I'll just limit that. Thanks again!!!!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.