Peter Batah

Soundaholic
From
Montreal, Canada
Website
www.cafejoya.com
Gear owned
DM4800 / MU1000
@Peter Batah, I don't have any experience with this product, but I did want to offer some comments as you "fill out" your new studio with physical and software products:

In the first few years in which I transitioned from PARIS to Pro Tools, many plug-ins were coming available (PARIS had few if any, but Pro Tools was already huge with many additional options). As I started using PT, I bought quite a few plug-ins that I've underused or not even used at all other than for trying them out. And regarding bundles, I've tried the plug-ins for which I purchased each bundle, but did not even try out the remaining plug-ins in some of those bundles. Also, I learned that most of the plug-ins that came with Pro Tools are pretty good or excellent themselves, and I've heard the same for those coming with the other major DAWs. If I was starting again, I'd first put some effort into using those that came free with whatever DAW I selected and bought. Most of the limitations I've found with these plug-ins were more me initially not really knowing how to get the best from them - the plug-ins work well as I learned more.

Now, in the case of the Waves CLA plug-ins, Chris Lord Alge is a highly respected studio engineer and I expect these plug-ins are excellent. Also, $200 is not a lot to spend for a bundle like this, so it likely a safe and good investment should you decide to get it. I just wanted to share with you that, plug-ins, microphones, and other such apps and devices can be very seductive and a little discipline can give one great results with what they already have and save you money at the same time (to buy toys in other areas, of course :D).

So, I'm not recommending getting anything or not getting anything, just sharing some mistakes I've made so you might not make them (and can make other new mistakes instead).

Reactions: Peter Batah
@skier Thank you for chiming in J. I came across the bundle when watching a YT presentation by Warren Huart of Produce Like a Pro. Actually, I am following along hoping to pickup a few tips. Of course (and not surprisingly) he is using the CLA bundle in the tutorial.

Truth be told. I have never spent a penny on plugins (not yet anyway). Nor do I plan on going down that rabbit hole anytime soon!

I mix without plugins. Mastering and repair however, are different.

I have the CLA reverb plugin. It looks like a copy of a Lexicon reverb basically. I've never used it on anything.

First things first. I should learn how to use the native plugins that ship with both Cubase and Pro Tools.

Reactions: skier and -mjk-
@Peter Batah plus all those excellent FX in the console.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.