Weird ADAT 'issue' (though everything works)

Black Shadow

Gear owned
Tascam DM 4800
Hi all,

Quick question about this ADAT message I'm getting on the board.

Setup:
- Using a Steinberg MR816 as ADAT clock source into the DM 4800.
- Sample rate on both the Steinberg and the DM are set at 88.2 kHz.
- DM connected to computer using the FW II card.

Now just to be clear: everything works fine, as far as I can tell. Audio (recorded in 88.2) coming from my PC sounds normal and new overdubs recorded through the Steinberg's preamps too, so there are no perceivable audio issues.

However, when I switched from 44.1 kHz (previous project) to 88.2 earlier today, I got a message on the board saying the ADAT sample rate ('Fs') was still 44.1 When I now check the clock page on the DM, both the board and the ADAT source clearly indicate they're at 88.2 kHz. But when I run a check, the DM still tells me that ADAT is operating at 44.1 'Fs'.

Is this normal, like for instance it's just a standard message you get when using ADAT, or am I missing something?

(Edit: I'm aware of the limitations of ADAT at 88.2 kHz and the SMUX protocol allowing for a reduced channel count.)

Last edited:
The DM mixers sometimes report different info on a clock check, for example sometimes it thinks incoming digital audio is 16bit word length, other times 20, etc. so if it’s working and sounding correct I think u r good.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.