Where is the Save Command?

David T

Gear owned
2488Neo, Model 24
Hi,

As a proud owner of 3 previous TASCAM recorders (424 MkII, 2488Neo and a DP32-SD), I just purchased a new TASCAM Model 24.

I am having an issue finding the Save command.

The manual shows the Save command as being located by:

- Pressing the Menu button

- Selecting Song

- Using the Jog wheel to load a song

- Punching the Jog Wheel again

- Selecting Save

The issue is that a “Save” command is not shown, only the “Load” command is. I’ve made sure the recorder is not running, that I have indeed made changes to the file (so there is something to save) and that the file is not write-protected.

The manual clearly says the “Load” command will be replaced by the “Save” command once a song is loaded.

I’m not sure what else I should look for.

Thanks

Have you recorded anything yet?

Yes, I have recorded more than a minute's worth of audio to Track 1 and also made changes to a song. The "Save" command is not displayed, only the "Load" command.

I would check to see if the SD card is locked.

Thanks for the reply, but that was one of the first things I checked. The SD card is not set to Read Only and I have created and deleted multiple songs to prove this. I'm thinking the firmware is corrupt and needs to be flashed.

Yes, I have recorded more than a minute's worth of audio to Track 1 and also made changes to a song. The "Save" command is not displayed, only the "Load" command.

The story isn't completely clear yet.

OK, you made a song and recorded some tracks.

You have made/deleted several other songs and the Save button isn't there.

What happens when you return to the song you recorded tracks on? Are the tracks there?

Yes, tracks that I record are somehow retained, but I've never actually "Saved" a song. If I record a track and play it back, it's there. If I load another song and then return to the song, it's there. Even if I cut the power to the unit, it's there. But I've never actually pressed any "Save" button. This doesn't seem normal.

I wonder how is my song data getting saved if I have never consciously saved it? I've searched the manual for "AutoSave" but there were no hits.

My Firmware is v1.31 and I see the TASCAM Downloads page currently lists v1.61, so I'm thinking perhaps an flash upgrade might be necessary.

Reactions: -mjk-
Problem solved. Updating the Firmware from 1.30 to 1.60 corrected the issue. The "Load" button now appears as "Save" when changes are made to a song.

Thanks for everyone's responses. Hopefully this thread will come up in searches and help others with the "Load/Save" issue.

Glad it worked out in the end. FWIW, the DP machines also have a Save button. But the machine automatically saves the files as soon as you press Stop after recording. It also saves when loading a new song so, we never really have to use it. I agree with you - it should work as the manual says. So now you have a brand new Save button!

And, this information is in the knowledge base now. Thanks David.

New threads

Members online