Votes: 0 0.0%
  • both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ctreitzell

Gear owned
none
Hi Everyone,
new member here. I signed up to the forum because I've been wanting to transfer my old 688 recordings to DAW. I'm looking to buy a 688 or 238 for that purpose. I'm sure I will keep it and record new stuff.

I've been speaking with some vendors near to my location (France) and there is a 238 with recent service and test tape for $750 and a 688 for $900 which claims to be in great shape, yet no claims of any service at any time to the 688. I'm leaning toward the 238 mainly because I have read here that the motor is better and the 2019 service. The vendor says in his listing: "I have recently calibrated this machine and it was serviced by a tech late 2019. This unit has had the known faulty capacitors on the capstan board replaced so the machine won't develop the play speed issue documented online. The tech who did this replacement also added a switch on the back panel (pictured) to switch between normal and half speed"

I've never used a 238 and don't currently have a mixer big enough to work with the 238. Not that I'm opposed to acquiring one, I do have plenty of space.

Then there is the 688 which I have used before. The integrated mixer is a nice all in one package and I'd essentially be getting a mixer designed for the recording section for $150 (and likely another 150 in shipping due to bulk). The lack of any service is putting me off the 688; I'm not afraid to open the machine up track down and repair issues.

I'd did look through the entire Analog thread section of this forum for any conversation in the vein of "238 verses 688". I've read that the 238 requires CHROME tape. All my recordings I plan to transfer are either TDK SA or Ampex 472. The 238 manual reads: It records on readily available standard (Philips) Compact Cassette tape, high bias Type II" and wikipedia says :"Type II (IEC II, or 'chrome' tapes)" so I guess my tapes are chrome :) Maybe it's a bad idea to run 30 year old tapes as the damage incurred from oxidized tape may not be worth the transfers? I only have 10 tapes.
Any advice from this knowledgeable board greatly appreciated. I'll add a poll for those so inclined.

wow...just crickets?!?
oh well, they both sold....I was not able to get my finances in order

246 Portastudio :)

Hah! I'm just checkin back here
Looks like I found a 238 recently refurbished
I'm thinkin to purchase it :)

New threads

Members online