Who here uses Logic Pro to mix/master their DP music files?

SpeedBump

Gear owned
DP-24
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an iMac with Logic already installed. After listening to my finished songs on the Tascam ( and especially the drumming ), I'm not satisfied and am persuaded that transferring the sound card files to this program would give me what I need to correct and embellish my songs.

I like the analog feel of the Tascam and can't say I'm looking forward to the tediousness of computer tweaking, however, I can only get my music to point "C" on the Tascam and I need it to go to point "A".

Any input would be helpful since I have not produced music on a computer

I use Reaper with my late-2013 iMac. Once I get the tracks recorded I use the EXPORT function and import into Reaper for editing, EQ, FX etc. We just released our new CD last Sunday ... all recorded in my DP24, edited in Reaper, and sent out for professional mastering.

While the buttons one presses will be different in Logic, the procedure is going to the same. Record, export, import into DAW.

Thanks for your reply R/A. I mentioned Logic Pro, however this particular Apple I'm considering has numerous other software programs installed as well. I'm a one man band ( guitarist/writer ) doing instrumental rock leaning heavily towards "classic". The guitar playing is fine. My bass playing, while not conventional, is passable. My keyboard playing is as rudimentary as one can imagine and I stick to strings just to fatten things up. My drumming ( Sample Pad pro and Alesis SR16 ) sucks beyond compare. I'm hoping the software can solve my deficiencies ( especially drums ) and allow me to add other sounds I don't have access to.

"My drumming ( Sample Pad pro and Alesis SR16 ) sucks beyond compare. I'm hoping the software can solve my deficiencies ( especially drums )"

Have you considered EZDrummer 2 or Superior Drummer?

Jimi Ray, I've looked at some of the vids on it. I like what it can do and yes, it would solve my drumming problem. I have experience on standalone recorders, but not PC. Is there a way to use EZ Drummer on my everyday computer and then transfer it to the Tascam DP-24?

That may be a stupid, newb question, but I have truly no experience recording on a computer.

No... that's a good question. I'm like you... very comfortable with and know my way around standalone recorders - I really love the intuitive work flow of the DP machines. However like you - the limitations - especially in EQing and inability to use the many great VST plugins that are out there - have me seriously considering tracking everything with the DP and then moving that to a DAW (I'm looking at Cubase right now). It just makes more and more sense the more I consider it.

Having said all that... the Toontrack software - EZDrummer 2 is what I use - has a standalone program that allows me to create/edit my drum parts in Windows on my laptop and then drop a stereo drum track into the DP via the Audio Depot folder. It works great and I've been very happy with this so far. It also comes as a plugin that works with pretty much any of the major DAW platforms out there. So you really have both option with the Toontrack software.

That sounds awesome. I'm right with you on the reasons to track on the DP and then embellish on a DAW.

The EZDrummer2 sounds like a good fit. I suppose my last, stupid question is if I used EZDrummer to lay down drums on my already recorded songs on the Tascam, is there a way to synch them up or is it all a redo from the start?

Not certain - but I think it may be a pretty tall order to substitute new parts from EZDrummer 2 in place of drums already on the DP. Probably doable if it were incredibly important - but I think it would be incredibly tedious and likely not worthwhile. Of course, the lack of MIDI is another one of the Tascam's shortcomings. EZDrummer 2 has MIDI capability, BTW.

'Appreciate the info Jimi Ray. I have the DP-24, not the SD, so I have midi. I just viewed some vids of EZDrummer and EZKeys. Interesting features for sure and both would appear to solve my problem. That iMac is looking even better to me now.

Since posting this thread, I've researched this until my ass hurts from sitting in my computer chair. I pulled the trigger today on an iMac different from the one I originally mentioned already loaded with Logic Pro x. I'll get the recording software separate as the one I bought has more RAM and a superior SSD.

The EZDrummer2 will solve a lot of problems for me and actually help in the songwriting process. I think my DP-24 will serve more as a guitar and bass file transfer from now on. I'll add to this thread in a few weeks time to give my opinion on whether or not I made the right choice.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.