WiFi Connection Via Router

MikeRivers

Gear owned
DR-44WL,, DR-40
I, too, did the latest software and firmware updates. I haven't used the remote function for long enough to determine if I have the same problem that others here have described (I'm using the Android version), but I'm having another problem.

One feature of this firmware update is the ability to connect the recorder and remote through a router. This is something that I wanted since the introduction of the WL series, as it offers the possibility to get more range than the direct connection between the mobile device and the recorder's WiFi server.

My problem is that the recorder won't connect to my router. It recognizes the router's SSID, but it doesn't seem to be sending the password correctly. The error message is "Wi-Fi Association Failed" I've entered the password so many times I'm afraid I'll wear out the data wheel. The spelling and case are absolutely correct.

My suspicion is that the recorder is too new for my setup. I'm using the old (and frowned-upon by security paranoids) WEP-128 encription. It may be adding something to what I've entered to work with one of the newer protocols like WPA2. Maybe I should take my recorder to a Starbucks and see if it'll connect to their router.

If you haven't tried the router setup with yours yet, try it and let me know if yours works (and what security protocol your router is using).

Personally, I'm not afraid of the big bad wolf and don't want to change my router setup. But I think it's important that the recorder is able to connect to any router that's available. I might want to use the remote control setup (assuming that stabilizes) in an old building that has an old setup (or in a Starbucks, where a router password isn't required).

I've of course written to TASCAM tech support about this, and, as what seems to be par for that course, haven't received a reply. Maybe they're closed for the whole between-holidays week. Reminds me of the time I was working for Mackie and they released a major software update to their digital console on Christmas eve!

Well, I finally got a reply from TASCAM. Their only suggestion was to be sure that I had typed the password correctly, with the correct case. I was told that it "should" work with all security protocols. Bah, humbug!

Apparently they never tested it. I did. With some reservation (I was afraid I'd screw up my local wireless network connections) I changed the wireless secuirty protocol from WEP-128 to WPA-2/AES and the DR-44 picked it right up.

Yes, TASCAM, it really should work with any security protocol, at least any one from this century.

I'm currently letting the recorder run with the remote active to see if it crashes like it seems to be doing for other users.

WEP 64 & 128 have been exploited time and time again. Tascam did right by dropping this flawed protocol. In addition, your home network is now much more secure.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.