Will using a power adapter prevent interface from turning off/on during Windows update?

spantini

From
Florida, USA
Gear owned
US-2x2 DP-03SD
Will using a power adapter prevent my US-2x2 (non-HR) USB interface from being turned off then on when Windows 10 updates and restarts?

Currently, I have no adapter so my interface is powered via my desktop PC's USB. This allows it to be turned off when Windows performs a restart after an update. This disables the driver, requiring a 'Repair' to reinstall it.

Reactions: Chr1s
if the interface has a separate power socket then yes this will prevent it being powered off when the pc updates.
However if the only power option is via USB you won't be able to power it and connect to the pc with the one usb connection, unless there is a splitter device that can power it and pass thru data

Reactions: Chr1s
Thanks, Bazz. Yes. It does have a separate power socket for an adapter (wall wart).

:D

A wall wart provides continuous power to the interface ok but the USB connection is still interrupted during monthly Windows updates, thus disabling the audio driver.

I did a little experimenting and found that when I manually restart my PC the Tascam audio driver remains intact. The USB light goes on and off slowly then flashes on and off quickly. So.. Windows' updates are disabling the driver.. not the power off/on cycle.

The wall wart has not solved the problem, so I'll use that for a new guitar pedal.

Last edited:
The never-ending update continues.. :confused:;)

To my great surprise and relief, after this last Win 10 update (Dec 15), my US-2x2 driver was NOT disabled! The power supply did exactly what I was hoping it would.

Evidently, some updates disable the driver and some don't. Surprise!

I don't care which do or don't, I'm too lazy to go fishing around for specifics where this is concerned. Now, I just hope that most future updates fall into the "don't disable the driver" category.

Stay tuned..:D

I've had three more updates since for a total of four since I added the wall wart.

The first and third updates did not disable the Tascam driver - second and fourth did. That's an odd pattern that doesn't give any indication of what's to come.

New threads

Members online