X-300 Coil replacements

Twophones

From
San Diego
Gear owned
48OB, M308, 32-2B, RS-20B
Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for X-300 coils (2.4mH part # 516004100)? The cores of some of mine are crumbling to bits.

First you need to use the right tool to not destroy them. If after they are powder then you need to go looking for core or slugs for coils of the same value which is not that easy to do. I took some cores of the right thread off a Sony VCR board but they must have been much higher reluctance as the coil only went in about 1/4 the way and then has to be lacquered in place. It did work but it is always better to have the right slug. I try not to damage them. You might find coils that are adjustable but breaking the slugs just makes a big headache for yourself. The record EQ coils do not do much anyway and the Bias traps are usually pretty close. I use the ceramic adjustment tools I got off E bay- they fit more perfectly.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know about the record EQ coils not doing much. I thought it was a result of the damage. My mistake was not using the wrong tool but not checking for and removing the previous laquer before trying to adjust them. Another lesson learned.

The coils usually do not have lacquer on them in my many years of work. That had to be put on by a person after the factory. The EQ coils work best at low speed and at upper frequency like 15KHz but you only see about 2 dB movement- to me I say why did they even put them in? In the Tascam open reel where trimmers are there for record EQ they work much better.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.