Building a Composite Master on Tascam 2488 Neo

Iain Churches

Gear owned
Tascam 2488 Neo
On recording projects it is customary to make several take of the backing track (rhythm) and
then, if none of them is quite perfect, edit the good sections together to make a complete composite backing track onto which supplementary tracks, solos, vocal etc can be added.

On the 2488 Neo, If I am working on a title called for example “New Song”, I can record a take, and then create a new attempt “New Song 2”, and then a third “New Song 3” I now have three versions of the same song which exist as three separate entities, but I can think of no way to edit them together.

So, instead. I record several takes of the backing track, sequentially, as part of the same song.
After the last take I can copy and paste the sections I need to make up a composite master.
This may begin at say 10:00:00. Now I can record other instruments, solos, vocals etc onto it.

On the 2488 Neo, mixes always start at 00:00:00 which means I may have ten minutes of
unwanted material before my master material.

So I make a copy of the whole thing, (which I call New Song X) and Cut from 00.00.00 to the count in on the edited master, and Delete Unused to give me just the composite take so that I can master from Zero.

Is there a better way?

Iain

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.