Contemplating using a professional studio. What to expect?

Slugworth

Veteran
Gear owned
DP-008EX
Fairly recently started home recording and have never been to a professional studio before. My limited gear is a Tascam dp-008ex, Yamaha dd-65 drum pad kit, basic 4-channel mixer, SM57 and SM58 mics. This is a link to the recording studio I have in mind and the services they offer https://www.earthtonesrecording.com/services

I think the dp-008ex is a great little unit for what it is, but likely cannot achieve the presence and fullness of a pro studio. I've used Audacity (freeware) post Tascam mastering to add a bit of enhancing without any tangible difference. I have little knowledge of the engineering and cost involved that separate this home unit compared to a professional studio. Any explanations would be welcomed.

My thought is to get as much recorded at home to possibly use all or some of those tracks for the studio to enhance and master. If that's not possible then at minimum I would be in a position to have most or all parts worked out ahead of time to hopefully streamline the time needed. One hurdle is I've only drummed on the DD55 and never tried acoustic drums. I assume there's a learning curve? Alternatively, I could either pay for a session drummer or just use the DD55 tracks.

My goal is to record around ten songs to cd. Most likely vocals would be better recorded or preferred in the pro studio? Do most musicians use producer? I hope to keep cost to below $3k , though I don't know if that's a reasonable number or not for what I hope to achieve? All input towards what to expect, how to trim costs, or other advice is much appreciated.

As the resident Village Idiot, I'm not able to give an expert evaluation of this. There's guys here on the forum who are experienced professionals, have owned/run their own studios, and could give you a better analysis (I'm looking at YOU guys, @-mjk- & @Arjan P).

What I can tell you is that you're very likely to be dumbstruck at the vast difference between capturing home-baked tracks on a small-format digital recorder with comparable peripheral gear, and the results you'll get from a full-scale, properly-equipped studio (with techs that know how to use it).
I suspect it's even possible the stuff you record on your own will be inadequate to occupy the same project as the home-made trax. It may be that the stuff you record at home can be an outline/framework/basis from which to record trax at the studio, which will surely be several levels above the homemade stuff.

As far as budget/etc goes, you're totally on the right track: go in prepared, have your goals/aims planned, and make the best possible use of the expensive studio time. The other guys here can probably give more detailed pointers on what to expect, and what is expected of you.
And given your self-admitted lack of engineering/studio experience, it's possible a producer of some measure would give better results, and better use of the studio time.

That's my $0.02; I gotta get back to figuring out which way the pointy end of the guitar goes, so I can finish the song I'm working on...:rolleyes:

you expect to go in and record your drumming when you've never played an acoustic kit before? Mate you may as well start a bonfire and throw hundred dollar bills at it. Seriously, you have to be tight as tight and know each part inside out before you go in. Pay a pro or at least an amateur drummer.Unless you are a millionaire that is. Ten songs will take a LOT of time imho.
You did the right thing to ask here, we have some real pro producers that can help you. How many instruments will you be playing? A studio is a daunting place at the best of times, if you are playing all the parts, and keeping an eye on the clock, that will be ultra stressful. But then again, you've done lots of recording at home so you'll know what it feels like.
I've only recorded in a good studio once, and apart from our 'manager' waiting til take 4 of a song to say I should change my bassline, not the hundreds of times we had jammed and played that song lol, it was fun. Drummer kept fluffing it with a couple of measures to go constantly, that was tiresome, the joys of recording drums n bass together but it's the only way really to be in sync.

And as soon as the CD was finished we broke up lol ay

Last edited:
Reactions: Logrinn
Do I expect to instantly switch from the e-pads I've been playing on to an acoustic kit? No, I don't and I did preface this by saying "Alternatively, I could either pay for a session drummer or just use the DD55 tracks." One solution might be to first find a local drumming instructor(s) that I could explain my situation to and try out on his/her acoustic kit to see where I am at for probably around $50-$75 for an hour. Even contemplate lessons prior to a potential pro recording session.
I think in some ways an acoustic kit may be easier, or at least they have a much bigger target area and room for error than the relatively tiny mic radius underneath the pads that captures properly on the DD-65 drum pads. I also think acoustic drum skins may provide much more feedback than these pads, especially the bass pedal, that might help?

Currently, it takes me several hours to decide on, practice drum patterns and successfully record my drumming per song. I only use Audacity (freeware) a bit to enhance fully finished songs. I don't use it as some might to record drumming sections and then piece them together by copying and pasting. If I was smart enough or proficient enough to do that via software I probably would as it would likely save me a shitload of time lol. However, I feel in not going that route it has forced me to create grooves or parts of grooves I may have otherwise neglected and potentially curbed my desire of wanting to be a proficient drummer someday.

My biggest concerns for recording time usage is first drumming. Second is vocals, of which I don't profess to be much of a singer. It seems on some of my songs my vocals are tolerable and perhaps even good. Yet, on other songs I can't get it right. I've tried different mic techniques such as close-up, several feet away, effects, eq's, different rooms of the house including bathrooms. I even tried recording in my car while in the garage to hopefully assimilate a recording booth. Not sure if it did or not because I've never been in a recording booth and no baseline. FWIW I did get a successful vocal track that way, but it didn't seem worth the effort.

I obviously have concerns and a budget and I'm sure if I eventually go the route of a pro studio recording it will be very daunting. I'm even a bit nervous about making initial calls or email to them.

Recorded this a few months ago (link in thread) https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/one-of-my-own-instrumental-created-a-couple-months-ago.9986/

Last edited:
for fear of upsetting you, it does not sound like you are ready yet if the drumming and vocals are of a concern before you start as they are arguably the most finnicky to record and take up a lot of time and thus money.

But it's your money so go at it. But you DID ask for advice......

Hey there. Spending money for studio time is a big decision. Generally u wanna have ur shit so together that u run the songs efficiently and inspired, if not flawlessly - and have lots of time for fun. If you go in too early, you can figure things out, but it can waste time compared to a solid planned and well-rehearsed repertoire.

if you have never booked a room, I won’t say not to do it, it is a fundamental experience for a recording musician to be in the studio for the first time. If you want to gain experience recording in a professional room, nothing else compares. If you are the artist, however, you should have your art ready for the show… you will have to live with the result.

Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct
Thanks for all of the replies and sound advice from everyone. I do intend to communicate with a couple recording studios to get ideas what to expect and how to streamline. Also, I agree I should do more home recording and reach out to drum instructors first.

I'm a patient dude and willing to put in the time and effort it takes to create an album/CD that I can be proud of.

This is a link to the recording studio I have in mind and the services they offer
It's a professional studio. Prices seem reasonable for the location.

My thought is to get as much recorded at home to possibly use all or some of those tracks for the studio to enhance and master...agree I should do more home recording...I do intend to communicate with a couple recording studios
This sticky thread in the DP-24/32/SD forum may be helpful in preparing your tracks if going the pro route.

Reactions: Slugworth
Mark Richards

Thanks for your opinion on Earthtone studio.
Eric Gayles wife is from Greensboro, they live here and he records at that studio. For whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
I'm a patient dude and willing to put in the time and effort it takes to create an album/CD that I can be proud of.

I've only been playing for 40 odd years, I'm still hopeful of having a mega hit at age 62 hehe

you gotta have that dream or vision to keep improving. Be patient, collaborate with others, a few of us are doing it here.

Reactions: dctdct and Logrinn
A wise man once said:

"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail." Preparation is key. You might want to consider hiring an experienced producer to take you into the studio and direct the process for you. The studio may have someone who can help you produce your record. Prepare as much as you can for the meeting so you can convey what you want as precisely as possible, including reference tracks from other artists. If you can make charts, do so. You can do a basic outline of the tune and the instruments you want and sounds you are trying to get.

Reactions: Slugworth

New threads

Members online