DM 3200 firewire compatibility with USB 2.0 3.0 and windows 10

Darryn

Veteran
Gear owned
dm3200
Looking to change my computer from a old and beaten macbook pro to a new Laptop PC running windows 10.
The new laptop i'm after (and most laptops these days) only have USB 2.0 and 3.0 and 3.1 and was wondering if anyone has had experience connecting the firewire cable with some sort of adaptor? Can give more detailed specs if needed.

In other words does the IF-FW/DM MKII work with a pc laptop if you simply get an firewire to usb adaptor? Is it more complicated than this? I found a lot on this forum about it working well from a firewire to Thunderbolt connection, but could not find anything about firewire to USB adaptors.

Thunderbolt to FireWire connection works because Thunderbolt was created with FireWire replacement in mind as for a long time, like Thunderbolt is now, FireWire was mainly a Mac or High End PC thing. USB was never created with being FireWire compatible but instead being the FireWire universal Alternative (Fail but that’s only if you’re a nerd like me I suppose).

So, USB doesn’t have the physical bus or software programming required to run Firewire. Mainly because USB is a shared data pool while Firewire is a dedicated line. Think DSL vs Cable Internet. You can’t run a dedicated line through a shared pool without either

1: Great difficulty or
2: Taking away from the pool drastically
3: Creating enough overhead so that the pool can perform full speed and you can have a dedicated line running through the pool (which would entirely defeat the purpose)

So FireWire it is or Thunderbolt.

BTW, from what I understand, Thunderbolt is different because it is still DSL and each connection is still separate from the next so by taking a lane from the 16lane highway , you’re not pulling from the pool, you’re just narrowing the dedicated bandwidth (if that makes any sense?).

I think i understand (or the gist at least). Thanks so much for the response. After a little research I decided to get a new Macbook pro (despite the cost). Hopefully my Tascam dm3200 will still work as normal with the firewire to Thunderbolt connector. I'll only be able to test it out in a few weeks time, my only other concern at the moment are the drivers for the new High Sierra operating system.
Not sure if there are tascam drivers for this new operating system that the new macbook pros are using. If you have any info, please let me know.

That info (Mac drivers for High Sierra) is already available on this forum. Or at least topics from people working with DM and High Sierra without issues.

Reactions: Darryn
Tanks @Arjan P its good to know that its working fine for others, but i could not find a thread on it. Ill keep searching, but any links would be a treat. thanks.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.