DM 3200 & Pro Tools 10

Right.
I am referring to DM input CHs 17 and 18 because I saw that you have the FW return CHs 1 and 2 assigned to these two channels. Which is correct. Going back farther, you also have, according to an earlier post, your PT stereo buss (main buss) assigned to FW return 1 and 2. This is also correct. But you are not hearing anything, although you see meter movement in TM Companion.
Lets just go through the chain again to make sure everything is set up right.

I am trying to check your signal chain and make sure that it is assigned to the DMs stereo buss so that you can monitor it all through your monitors or headphones.
Your chain from PTs should be:
1) Individual tracks in ProTools should automatically be assigned to your STEREO buss in Pro Tools.
2) ProTools Stereo buss outputs assigned to ASIO IF-FW/DM MKII 1 and 2 OUT (L and R)
3) FW return 1 and 2 assigned to DM CHs 17 and 18 (which you have correctly assigned)
4) DM 17 and 18 should be paired (hit both SEL buttons for 17 and 18 at the same time, then enter) Now, when you hit the SEL button for either 17 or 18, they both should light up green
5) With Both SEL buttons lit up for 17 and 18, hit the STEREO button to the left of the display screen. This will assign those 17 and 18 to the DMs stereo buss. Like when you assign a channel on an analog board to the mains.
6) Now, look over to the right. Just right of the LED meters, there is another STEREO button. That should also be lit up. This will assign the whole stereo buss (anything you have assigned to the stereo buss) to your stereo outputs.
7) Now bring up the STEREO Fader (next to the layer buttons), to unity.
8) Now bring up the faders for Chs 17 and 18. If you are playing music out of PTs, you should at least see movement on the LED meters.
9) If your speakers are plugged into your CR outputs, the 1/4" TRS outputs in the back, and you have the STEREO buss assigned to the CR outs, turn up the CR knob near the headphone jack to about midway. Hopefully, you have sound as well. If not, we need to check one more thing. Let me know.

Earlier you wrote that it was working. Did you hear sound out of your monitors at that time?

before we get stared i just noticed thisn my output slot for 17-24. this doesnt look correct on the left above the batch set up. and to answer your question yes i did hear sound before

I hear playback from pro tools but now can't hear anything when I actually play the guitar

Attachments

• output slot 17-24.png
    output slot 17-24.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:
Your SLOT1 17-24 can be anything you want to send out your FW to your computer. You have 32 channels available over the FW connection, and we have only used the first 16 for your Mic/Line inputs. My 17-24 chs are my SLOT2 outputs which is my analog card. But you don't really need to have anything in there, so its no big deal that its empty. FWIW, my SLOT1 Trk 25-32 lineup is ADAT 3 and ADAT 4, DIN1L, DIN1R, DIN2L, DIN2R, and STEREO-L/STEREO-R goes out FW 31 and 32, so that I can record my STEREO buss from the DM directly into stereo track in my DAW..

As for the second reply, follow my steps above for sending the guitar track input to the DMs stereo buss. How exactly do you have your guitar hooked up to the DM and through which channel? I can help you better with that knowledge.

Hey man, did a hard reset. Re-did everything per your posts. Ended up routing a few more things here and there and BAMMM!!! Everything is working exactly the way I need it to. I'm able to do everything I need to do. Next on the list, after I get used to it, is hooking up my eleven rack from avid and hooking up my Maschine MkII. I really appreciate all the help. And if you don't mind I'm sure I'll have some questions in the future.

Happy to help. Funny, I was just looking at an eleven rack on ebay.

It's a sweet piece of equipment!!! Glad I purchased it. Lots to do with that bad boy.

I typically record a cab AND split off the guitar signal to a separate input for a dry guitar. Then I have been using some amp sims for the right sound. Works great to pan the actual miced guitar to one side and the fake amp sim to the other, barring talent approval, of course.

Although I've never used the option, you're able to re-amp with it as well. Has some pretty bad *ss sounds in it.

Hello Everyone. I am new to this forum and have been searching for answers. I have a DM 3200 and have it connected to a macbook pro running pro tools 10. I have the transport connected correctly with the firewire mark I card. I am able to send signal and record to PT 10 but when I try and playback the recording I can't hear anything. I have followed the instructions of a couple of similar post but with no luck. Hoping someone on hear can help me. Thanks in advance.

Please repost as a new thread...
BTW, welcome to the forums. Just a first thought, the MK1 FW Card was really made for the DM24. Many have problems with it in the 3200/4800 series. You may just want to sell that and go for the IF-FW/DW MKII before continuing.

Hello,

The MKI card will not work properly with PT10; the older drivers aren't compatible with Avid's concept of 'ASIO.'

As Tascman suggested, sell the MKI (there's still a market for it among DM24 users), and make the investment in a MKII.

CaptDan

Dear Capt Dan,

My name is Michael. I have read post information that other have written to you about their challenges with DM 3200 and Protools 10. Well sir, I am have tried to use all the steps and advice that you gave others, to include the information on the sweet water site. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, unplugged, changed wires, and even ordered a new card (that because I had a damaged one). After doing all of what I (thought) I knew how to do, I have successfully failed at getting sound from the 3200. The faders are synced between the 3200 and protools--I see the signal of sound on the monitor in protools, but no sound--not even in the headphones. I am getting a distorted buzzing sound that made the lights on the 3200 hang in the red, but that's about it. This has been going on for about a year, and I just trying solve the problem so that I can experience the fantastic possibilities of recording great music (namely my jazz group) that others are experiencing. HELP!!!!

For Dan's sake, could your please list your gear, operating system, and add in cards you have in the back of your 3200? How do you connect your 3200 to your computer? That would be a big help in helping you.

I just wanted to quickly mention the obvious. The true hearten members on this forum is why I purchased a dm. Having zero experience with a mixer or recording I wanted to immerse myself in this field but knew I was going to need some real after purchase guidance. The experience and willful help this forum provides, at no cost is unbelievable. The depth of the replies, the time they take to answer questions and explain never belittling the novice is profoundly knight-able in my opinion.
Thank you from a grateful reading...

Thanks CaptDan.... I found your post explain my routing issue. I'm hearing everything now, so thank you and everyone else who had shared their knowledge in helping me resolve this problem. But I'm confused, on the routing input and this is could be why my vocals are not recording. I went to Routing on the DM and the Input Tab currently I have the Module 1 set as Slot 1-1 and so forth for each channel and that is set on the INP row now just below is the RTN row it's blank (see screen shot below) is that supposed to be that way. I can hear my vocals (via headphones/monitors along with instrumental) but I'm not getting anything recorded. Is there something else I don't have set that is preventing me from recording my vocals?ROUTING INPUT.png

I'm not getting anything recorded

The screen above shows correct routing FROM Ptools, but unless your OUTPUT from the
DM is assigned correctly, nothing gets printed to 'tape.'

Please post a screen shot of your OUTPUT SLOT MENU. It's accessed via the 3rd TAB on the bottom of that routing screen.

CaptDan

Okay. Instead of the default Buss 1/Dir1 choice in Slot1/1 (first on upper left), choose your M/L input being used - likely M/L1

You'll make that choice starting on the right: (Input Bypass) - 'M/L'. Then -on Output Select, dial in M/L1 where Buss 1/Dir1 is now.

That will assign your Input source directly to PTools - bypassing the DM's channel modules and all features they access. In other words, what goes in comes out the DM's FireWire Output SLOT(s), without being 'stepped on' by any gain or effect feature between the source and the destination.

CaptDan

CaptDan thank you everything seems to functioning but what I did notice is when I armed a PT10 track to record that is when I heard my mic through the speakers and headphones but when it's not armed I hear nothing from the mic
ROUTING OUTPUT SLOT.png

I am still curious about the RTN space that's left blank under Slot1-2 on the Input tab can you further explain that please

ROUTING INPUT.png

New threads

Members online

No members online now.