DM-3200 Talkback

DukeOfURL

From
New York
Website
www.dorm40music.com
Gear owned
DM3200 and more
Does anyone know if there is a way to have two-way dialog with the vocalist using the TalkBack button? The button obviously works because the vocalist can hear what I'm saying when the button is down. But if the vocalist talks when the button is down, it becomes a game of, "what? I don't know what? what do you think? what? did you say something"?

My former console (Panasonic DA7) allowed the control room monitors to be attenuated with a soft pot. Then you could smart-key the talk back button to "open" and talk to the vocalist two-way until everyone was on the same page. I know the DM3200 has a soft-pot dim control but the CR monitors are completely muted when the TalkBack button is pressed.

Is this just the way it is?

Two way? The talent always talks back to me with their vocal mic which I am monitoring in the console room and/or in my headphones. Are you sure you don't have the DIM settings incorrect? Sounds like it. I don't have this problem meaning we can hear each other simultaneously.

What's also nice is configuring the talk-back to be used with a keyboard sustain pedal (plugged into the foot switch jack on the DM3200). Hands free talk back operation is a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: captdan
Thanks for writing. The Dimmer Setup was set to -30dB which I think is the out-of-the-box default value. I raised it to -8dB - still nothing. Foot pedal is a great idea! That goes in tonight.

I'll give this thing another whirl - it's gotta be something simple until the AH-HA syndrome kicks in.

Hm, I always have to release the 'to studio' button in order to hear the artist back again. Never looked any further, really - just took it as the way it is. I do use a footswitch though.. ;)

Yeah, this was completely, my bad. Just turn up the [soft] DIM knob to a reasonable level and you'll be good-to-go. CMAFFIA's use of a foot switch is just the cat's butt. I can have my hands free to listen the the vocalist bitch & moan, "it's too hot in here, can you play an Eb for me, it's too cold in here, I can't feel my legs"! Anywho, problem solved.

I had a session yesterday and tested this. I can have a two way conversation with the talent in my vocal booth. I can hear them while the talkback is engaged

Okay, I'll give it a try with my next vocal session and a turned up DIM level!

I can have my hands free to listen the the vocalist bitch & moan, "it's too hot in here, can you play an Eb for me, it's too cold in here, I can't feel my legs"! Anywho, problem solved.

Are you sure you're not looking for that "mute" button ;-) This way you don't need your now free hands to plug your ears :-D

New threads

Members online

No members online now.