Do I have a defective DP-24SD?

chibi

Gear owned
DP-24SD
...or am I not understanding the effects chain? I've been having trouble applying effects to my tracks, and in an effort to sort things out, I've turned off all the effects and send/returns to all tracks. When I turn on the "Insert Effect", there is clearly a delay or reverb that is applied. How can this happen with all the effects turned off?

Also, I can only insert an effect on one track at a time. When I apply it on one track, the other is turned off.

What am I doing wrong? I essentially have no control over applying effects to my tracks.

Would appreciate any advice on this. Thanks!

No, I purchased it a couple years ago, but only recently started using it.

Chibi, the answer is yes, you do not understand the effects system. Go back to the top of the forum and look at Phil Tippings' videos and then examine the other topic about the definitive summary of effects.

Hey,
I was going to say the same thing, or tell you to hang until mjk got responded. I'm a new user to, and it's tricky until you watch the YouTube video instructions from Phil Tipping...

Reactions: Lasvideo and -mjk-
I also highly recommend taking the time to watch the Tipping tutorials. They're well done and thorough and address all of the major functions and signal flow. It is *very* unlikely that your machine is not functioning properly.

Hey,
I was going to say the same thing, or tell you to hang until mjk got responded. I'm a new user to, and it's tricky until you watch the YouTube video instructions from Phil Tipping...

Some of us have been discussing whether or not we should even respond to these type of questions. It's not a matter of being rude or snobbish, but the difference between the insert Guitar effects, Effects, and Dynamic effects is clearly explained in the manual. If it were up to me, no one would be allowed to start a new thread without responding "yes" to the following questions:

1. Have you read the manual in its entirely?
  2. Have you viewed the entire DP series instructional videos produced by Phil Tipping?
  3. Have you read all the posts in the sticky topic on effects?
  4. Have you searched the Forum with keywords and clicked on the forum results tab?
Going to the forum for information is a good thing. All of the basic knowledge needed to operate the machine is here. Going to the forum because you want someone else to educate you is beyond the scope of the forum.

@chibi the reason no one has directly answered your questions is because it's clear you haven't read anything yet. Even if someone told you the answer it won't help until you understand the difference between, and specific uses for each of the 3 types of effects.

David, if I had a buck for every machine that turned out to be not broken....

mjk,
So sorry to have offended you with my stupidity. For your information, I have gone over the manual numerous times, but I guess I'm just not as intelligent as you are. Furthermore, I was actually blown away by the amount of advice I had received in just a matter of minutes, even a personal conversational note from Mr. Tipping.
I wish to thank all the others who have taken the time to offer me some guidance, and apologize to those who took the opportunity to be irritated.
This will be my final post.
aloha

@chibi no sir, it is I who must personally apologize. I wasn't offended in the least. It's not necessary to leave the forum over a misunderstanding. Direct answers in text format don't really convey tact. I'm sorry this happened.

I owe everyone in this thread an apology. I re-read my previous post, and although it was a continuation of a previous discussion, it was rather out-of-context, and as such, could certainly be taken as offense or anger, neither of which was the case (but it was a bit presumptious). I feel ashamed of myself. I've reached out to chibi directly to apologize, so I hope this is not his last post.

-mjk-
Thanks for your understanding. Your recommendations are well taken, and have helped me gain a better understanding of the effects chain applications, as well as forum protocol.
aloha and best wishes

Reactions: -mjk-
I can only insert an effect on one track at a time. When I apply it on one track, the other is turned off. What am I doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong. The mono "Effect/Guitar/Select" can only be active on one track at a time, as you've discovered. If you do a search, I made a thread that discusses a way to deal with that. It was in early 2018, IIRC. Not sure if it's exactly on point for your situation, but may send you in the right direction :).

The stereo "Effect/Send/(Reverb, Chorus, Delay)" is available to all Tracks as well as the 8 Inputs A~H.

As others have mentioned, Phil Tipping's Sticky on the DP-xx Effects is an excellent summary, as are his free videos found in the other Sticky.

The TASCAM Owner Manual is an embarrassment. (Phil has written an "Owner Manual" that puts the TASCAM OM to shame.) That said, you can d/l a .pdf version of the manual on the TASCAM web site. With that, you can easily and quickly search the entire manual to help tease out the answer to something that may be stumping you.

The DP-xx has been around for almost 7 years. Just about any issue that you might face has likely been discovered/discussed/resolved in the past, so your first option should always be try a search on some key words, and click on the "Site Results" tab to view the hits.;)

Last edited:
@Mark Richards that "site results" tab should be the default! Since the entire forum is Google indexed, I have better results searching the forum from the standard Google search bar than I do from within the forum.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Reactions: chibi

New threads

Members online