DP-24 "File Errors"

Dave Zippi

-I'm definitely a Newbie with my beloved DP-24. My problem piece that I’m currently working on has more editing than maybe the totality of all of the bedroom recordings that I've ever done since 1985.

- I see many members posting about "File Errors". Maybe this experience of mine might help some.

-I don't use a computer since with some of my outboard gear---my DP-24 is pretty awesome! I do have the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SD Card. Plus, I still have the original firmware that the unit came with and haven’t upgraded. Maybe I’ve just been lucky!

-When I get a "File Error" ---I immediately shut down the unit. I then Restart it & Delete any recording functions that I performed that created the error. Then I do a “Delete Unused”.

-Everything from that point is a go for me!

-The DP-24 TASCAM MANUAL points this out on Page 95.

-If you are swapping files back & forth with the unit & a computer that’s a “horse of a different color”.

- For what it’s worth!

Reactions: Mark Richards
@Dave Zippi said:

I still have the original firmware that the unit came with and haven’t upgraded. Maybe I’ve just been lucky!

Yes. Yes you have. You have also missed out on all the features that have been implemented since the release of the product and you are not benefitting from the stability updates. Those of us with approved cards and the latest firmware don't have file error issues.

^^^^^ What Mark and MJK said. I highly recommend you get that firmware updated. You're asking for trouble by not updating. It's quick and easy.:)

Also - you mentioned that you have a lot of edits....

On any given single track - if you have a lot of edits: silence spots, punch-ins, move/pastes, etc.... this creates a bunch of file fragments that the processor has to work to put together seamlessly during playback. When enough of these build up - it can/will cause an error. The fix for this is to simply move that track/data into the Audio Depot folder - clear the track that you moved it from using "Clean Out" (or simply choose another un-used track), and then import that data from the Audio Depot back to whichever track location you chose. This function "glues" all the fragments together and voila! - you're in business.

These processors can handle a lot. But they do have their limit.

David, WOW!!!
Many thanks for the advice & the valuable procedure!!! I'm guessing that I've been very lucky so far & I've been playing with fire & eventually will get burnt.
Again---Thanks!!!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.