Erasing marks and songs

I erase the location markers to create new ones for the auto punch in. That does not seem to work. I can't get rid of my old auto punch in.
You set In/Out for Autopunch the same way you set the In/Out for the entire song in Mixdown or for Copy/Paste and other Edit functions (looks like Phil and I cross-posted). And you reset as needed.

The DP-24/32/SD is a very powerful tool but you have to take the time to learn it. My sense after owning a DP-24 for seven years and being on this forum for a few years is that those who just "jump in cold" can get frustrated easily and quickly.

As you've probably figured out, the OM is marginally useful most of the time, but the section on setting/removing location markers, using In/Out points, and using Autopunch is decent. The DP-24/32/SD is dead on every time when done correctly.

Phil's videos are a great place to start learning all the ways to be productive; and for the more advanced users, the Production Tips and Equipment Tips stickies are another great resource.

Also, please read my post #28 in this thread.

Last edited:
Thank you Phil, I have tried that. I've even deleted all the markers. The red markers never moved from the previous auto punch points. I took Marks advice and just updated the firmware. I have not tried to anything post that upgrade yet. Happy Easter by the way guys and thank you. I wrote a song after my mother passed away last year. I'm tying to get it done prior to mothers day. My personal deadline was April 1oth so that I could mange the copywrite and publishing. Your help is much appreciated.

I'm going to try to copy the system song file the edit the system song file to do a hard code reset on that then reload it into the folder. At worst case I'll fail and replace it with the original file.

So that was a failed effort. Proprietary code. No surprise there. So I am at a loss here. I've read that manual and what it says to do, does not overwrite the previous punch in/out. I've tried everything that I could think of. I am no novice to using machines, computers and especially recording equipment. I've been in this field professionally for 30 years. If I were to redesign this, I would have included a seperate app/window that have listed the mark ins/outs and punch in/outs and would have allowed editing there as well. That would seem like a no brainer to me. Failures (or success in design) like this set the stage for future Tascam sales. Today I am not happy. When I visited the Tascam site to download the latest version. I certainly skipped by any offerings that they were promoting. I am at this point, not interested.

Success! After several hours, which is a crime by the way.
My findings... Some are or should be already known by the reading manual but start from point 1:
To overwrite a previous punch in;
Be sure you have the following in place:
1, Track source light (s) that you want to record on is lit.
2, Record ready light track is flashing on the track you want to record on.
3, The Tascam window is in the timeline mode.
4, Auto punch has been initiated with your personal setting in place. Auto punch light should be on.
1, Locate the the point where you want your next punch "out" to occur. Not the first.
  • Press Hold down the "Mark Set" button and while doing this press the locate "out" button. This will push out the previous out to the new out.
  • Then either use the << Rewind to relocate to your first marker or create a new one using the same. Method above but instead select the locate "In button (again while pressing the the Mark Set).
Notes; The punch in/out system uses the marker location system but you need to be in the punch out mode. After the first Punch in/out you do can be done by first setting the in first and then the out but after that I have fount that you need to do the next one in reverse in order to over write the previous file. So set you out and then your in.

...markers...God if I had known this unit was so buggy I would have made a different choice....God I hate wasting time with faulty equipment.

1. To start with, DP-24/32/SD Porta-studios running the most current firmware are neither buggy nor faulty.

When making a rolling punch or an auto punch the latest FW version memorizes, for want of a better word, the punch in /punch out location of the most current recorded dub and does not remove the location after the punch out is completed. This is a FW process related to the "TO LAST REC" function. This 'special' FW memorized punch in /punch out point is not the same as the visible Markers that can be set and removed manually.

The confusion arises apparently when Markers are set manually at the punch in / punch out points and then removed manually after the punch out. It then appears that the manually set Markers are still there after removal, even though not visible on the viewing screen. That's not the case.

Rather, the confusion comes from not understanding:
  • That the purpose of the FW memorized punch in / punch out location is to facilitate the "TO LAST REC" button that jumps to the last recorded position; and
  • That the current hidden FW memorized punch in /punch out points cannot be, and are not meant to be, user removed; and
  • That using the REW and FFWD buttons to move through the song's manually set Markers also will stop on the most current FW memorized recorded punch in /punch out location; and
  • That pressing the STOP/TO LAST REC button combination will move directly to the start of the most current punch in.
IN SUMMARY
  • With DP-24/32/SD Porta-studios running the most current firmware, recording a new punch in / punch out (whether a running punch or an autopunch) removes the previous FW memorized location and creates a new one at the new punch in /punch out location.
  • Retaining those points is necessary to facilitate the "TO LAST REC" function.
  • The Punch In / Punch Out point cannot be removed manually by the user.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

2. I don't do rolling punch or autopunch dubs on the original track.

In fact, I don't do rolling punches at all and rarely use Autopunch to dub.

Here's one way (from the Production Tips sticky) that I like to work.

Not hard at all. The concept is easily adapted to various situations, and preserves the original track(s) in case something goes sideways and you've run out of re-do options.

With a little forethought the concept in the sticky can also make use of Autopunch to record a dub on an empty track rather than making dub punches on the original track; then using the Edit functions to create a new track with the dub in place of the original section. With all the Virtual tracks that are available, there's always a track available somewhere to get the job done. This too will create the hidden FW punch in /punch out location points of the recorded Autopunch dub (very handy for setting the manual In/Out points to make your edit).

3. Removing Manually Set Marks
As to those having trouble removing manually set Markers, Tony E in post #3 of this thread explained way back in 2013 how to do that correctly and precisely.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online