Getting Started: Protools 10 with Dm3200

Darryn

Veteran
Gear owned
dm3200
Hi everyone, i've been looking on the forum for quite some time, and have read the Dm3200 Manuel, but i cannot even get started on input routing from the console into protools and back again.
I just want to get started recording a couple of mic inputs and then listen back to them from my monitors.
Any help would be appreciated. I may need to factory re-set, as ive been fiddling for a long time in the routing section on the Dm console, but i don't know how to do that either. Ive had the console a year now and im so frustrated that i havent' been able to use it at all.

Hello and welcome....

Your question is the most ubiquitous and commonly asked on this forum. From your profile, we can only determine your name and DM model. You don't say if you're running Firewire or some other flavor of I/O. We need to know that to even think of helping.

And which type of computer - PC or Mac? This is fundamental; some of us use PCs - others - Mac. Methodology is somewhat unique to both platforms.

Here's a 'primer' post on basic DM routing. Check it out and after you've told us more about your setup, we can go deeper:

http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dm-routing-zen.634/

CaptDan

Yes i have read that post you linked, so far it didn't help me to understanding much. I have a MacBook Pro, i have the firewire 2 interface via firewire into my mac, i installed it correctly in slot 1 (i know this because i do get playback on my computer) through the DM which is connected to some monitors via the main stereo output on the back. and also have the USb cable connected and hav basic controls (play, pause rewind) functions working

Let's try something very basic.

Plug something (gtr?) into a DM input. Choose preamp #1 - far left side of console.

Next, hit ROUTING, then the the 3rd bottom TAB: OUTPUT SLOT.
Highlight the box Input 1/Slot1 on the left.
Then, on the opposite side of the screen, choose 'M/L'. (That stands for MIC/LINE).
Using the shuttle wheel, scroll through choices in that left box until 'M/L1' appears and hit ENTER. You've now told the DM to send signal from the preamp
#1 (M/L1) through your OUTPUT SLOT #1 (meaning your firewire slot 1).

In ProTools (bear in mind I don't use a Mac).................................

Create a new Audio Track. If you've installed your DM/Firewire correctly, when you click on INPUT, you should see the entire array of DM channels - 1 through 32. If you don't see this, you'll need to DEFINE your ASIO (firewire) inputs and outputs using Protools menus to do so.

In that INPUT menu, choose Channel #1 (that's the OUTPUT you set up on your DM). You've now assigned the DM's channel #1 to the new audio track in Protools.

Next......................choose an OUTPUT from Protools to send signal BACK to the DM. For grins, let's make that choice OUTPUT #17.

Then..................on the DM, hit ROUTING and the first bottom tab INPUT. Now - pay attention! In the middle of the screen are the INPUT LAYERS!!. These are defined as:

1-8
9-16
17-24
25-32

You will cursor down to the 3rd ROW: 17-24. On the left side, however, this array is shown as 1-8 (In reality it's 17-24). So you'll choose #1 (which is actually #17). Hit ENTER. Then, SELect Channel/fader #17 (second layer), raise the fader to 00. Then BE SURE TO PUSH THE STEREO BUTTON ON THE TOP LEFT OF THE CONSOLE! If you don't, you'll hear NOTHING! This assigns your signal to the DM's stereo bus so you can hear what's happening.
Then, increase the trim pot on the DM's preamp to about 12:00. And if you're using a guitar direct into the preamp, make sure the slide switch on the the preamp panel is moved to 'LINE.' If you're using a microphone, choose MIC instead. You can adjust gain from there.

Now - enable your Protools audio track, hit RECord and lay down a test portion. DON'T WORRY IF YOU HEAR AN ECHO! This is latency which can be corrected using an accompanying method which I will describe in another post. All we want to do is to see if you
can print a signal to ProTools, then play it back through the DM's Channel #17 fader.

Give this a try. Let us know if it works.

CaptDan

Last edited:
THANK YOU Captdan, this is working! :) Northern California is a bit far from good old Western Australia (where i'm from) so i can't buy you a beer, but thank you. ;-)

Great! Thanks for the feedback; glad you've gotten past the first big step.

With all that done, you might want to check out that 'Routing Zen' post again to see how the 'What/Where/How' 'system' works. The reason is, once you understand the screen logic, you'll be free to choose any 'What' and plug it into any 'Where' ...'How'-ever you want. :)

Now - how do you get rid of that annoying latency echo? You have two choices - one of them is costly. That's to switch up to an HD version of Protools using their proprietary/pricey interface which aligns everything in their digital world, alleviating any latency delay. But you needn't do that because you have a device which can do it at no additional cost - the DM3200.

What you'll do is SPLIT THE RETURN SIGNAL FROM PTOOLS.

Choose an open DM channel. I like to use the 3rd Layer - 32-48 array. The downside is, the 34-48 channels are somewhat 'crippled' - meaning they feature no EQ or dynamics. But you can aux these into the efx chain for 'verb/delay', and of course, increase both the fader and channel TRIM to useable levels for overdubbing. It depends on your preference. But for grins, for your overdubbing monitor channel - pick Channel 40.................................

Hit: ROUTING, then 1st bottom TAB: INPUT. SELect Channel 40 on the DM's 3rd Layer (push SELect above Fader 40). You'll see the appropriately lit box on the Routing Screen).
On the right side of screen, Choose M/L. Using the shuttle wheel scroll through the choices on Fader 40's box until you see "M/L1." This is the SAME INPUT selection you made earlier for Audio Track #1 in Protools. Next - again - HIT THAT STEREO BUSS BUTTON SO YOU CAN HEAR YOUR SIGNAL!

Finally, you'll need to MUTE either the Protools channel (Track 1) being recorded to, or - simply MUTE Channel #17. Otherwise, the latency will be even worse. The idea is, you're ONLY monitoring Channel 40 while OVERDUBBING, then you'll UNmute Channel #17 for playback). By the way, there's a nifty freeware available that automatically Mutes PTools channels for this purpose. I'll find the link and post it later.

Give this a try. Let us know if you run into any hurdles.

CaptDan

Last edited:
Great stuff, Dan. 'Routing Zen 2.0' ;)

Reactions: captdan
Wow great stuff. i haven't tried it yet, but advice is second to none! thanks again.

Reactions: captdan

New threads

Members online

No members online now.