Help! Missing recording feed from power mixer to Tascam DP32

tomyg

From
Surrey UK
Gear owned
DP-32SD, Tascam 24
Hi, apologies if this topic has been covered before but any assistance much appreciated....
upload_12623_1.jpg

I want to take a stereo feed out of my Yamaha EMX5000-20way powered mixer to record my full band during rehearsal. Yes I do know I can record straight into the Tascam (8-way) but this route would be more straight forward for the setup already in the studio. There is a dedicated stereo pair of RCA feeds out for recording on the mixer (top r/h side in photo). As theTascam DP32SD has the XLR/6.35mm inputs, I fitted two RCA phono to jack adaptors to my mixer rec feed out cable and inserted into line A+B on the Tascam. Despite properly assigning the channels and having all volume levels up, no signal was apparently received or audible.
Am I missing something here? Other than a dodgy cable or adaptors, shouldn't the signal be received as any other normal input feed would using 6.35mm (1/4") male jacks?
I appreciate another reason maybe the rec out feed from the mixer could be dodgy but before I progress that, I would welcome any feedback/suggestions etc. Many thanks

Have you tried a simple test recording using a microphone with the DP-32SD on either of those inputs to verify that you have settings correct for recording an input signal? That's where I would start.

(Obviously) - once you determine that the Tascam is working properly (or not) and that you have settings correct to record your input signals then you can look elsewhere for the problem.

Or, start with the source of audio and connect something else to the mixer's REC OUTs and see if there's really audio signal coming out here.

Hi, thanks all for the prompt feedback. In response;
1. Yes all Tascam inputs working perfectly
2. Audio source from mixer working fine
3. Yes Rec buttons pressed for assigned tracks
I was wondering whether there might be a sound level inbalance created once the jack adaptor was fitted to the rca plug? Bit of a long shot but I'm stumped at the moment.

There shouldn't be an imbalance unless the plug/adaptor is wired incorrectly. Are you using TRS jack plugs (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) as opposed to TS (Tip/Sleeve)? If it's a TRS, the machine will treat it as a balanced signal so if both tip & ring are joined, you'll get no sound. If your inputs are working normally, then you've eliminated any FX or other settings, so it must be the cable/adaptors/connectors. Can you post a picture of the adaptor & plugs?
Update: if you're into recording, you really should get yourself a continuity tester!! :) A dedicated cable tester if you're serious, or as a minimum a 4-dollar multimeter from eBay(China!).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
Thanks Phil, cables tested all work! Please see photo attached for adaptor plug and RCA cable-all decent quality.
upload_2018-8-27_19-11-31.png

Great pics! These 1/4" jack plugs are TRS - they have 2 insulating bands, so are the tip & ring connected together as described in my previous post? If they are, that's the culprit. Ideally you need TS plugs, but you'd get away with TRS's only if the signal from the phono/RCA tip goes to the tip of the 1/4" plug and nowhere else. These TS adapters would be better:-
rca-to-jack.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
Phil's right. The problem is the stereo (TRS) adapter plugs.

Doh! I'll sort out a new set of adapters and let you know. Thanks to all for the great support and feedback, much appreicated.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.