High output latency with US-20x20

Andreas Franke

Gear owned
US-20X20
Hi everybody.
I bougth my US-20x20 by end of september this year. It's an almost perfect interface for my purpose. Almost because of it's hight overall latency values. Specially it's bad/high output-latency.
Here's an example:

My system: Ableton Live 9.5, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7 3770k @4.5Ghz, 32GB RAM, 500 MB SSD, 4TB HDD

If I select the tascam driver directly in Live:
128 Samples buffersize: global latency 14.6 ms (input: 3.9 ms / output: 10.7 ms!!!)

If I select the JackRouter, where I configured my us-20x20 before, I get much better values:
128 Samples buffersize: global latency 8.71 ms (input: 2.9 ms / output: 5.8 ms)

My old Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP interface (only to compare):
128 Samples buffersize: global latency 8.32 ms (input: 3.29 ms / output: 5.03 ms)

I think Tascam has to deliver better drivers for the us-20x20 soon! Another one: Why we can't select a buffer size below 64 samples like 32 sample buffer?

Attachments

• Tascam-20X20-latency.jpg
    Tascam-20X20-latency.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 16
Better use this Interface with ASIO4ALL instead of the original ASIO-Driver.

128 Samples buffersize: global latency 5.8 ms (input: 2.9 ms / output: 2.9 ms)

Attachments

• 2015-12-02.png
    2015-12-02.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 27
Wow.. that's quite the difference. Good to know.

I'm waiting for my US-20x20 to arrive so i've been searching forums for impressions etc..

Are you happy with it?

Hardware is quite good, for its cost. Driver sucks, an I wish I could do a second mix to headphone 2, but line-out 1+2, headphone 1 and headphone 2 put out the same signal. This seems to be hard-wired. Bought it for mobile recording and live purpose, because my notebook has USB3 only and no firewire connection anymore. I give it 85% from 100% at all.

BTW. Posted this problem to tascam service a few days ago, but got no answer untill today.

Ok, thanks. Did you ever try it with USB 2.0? Was it much of a difference?

I'm on windows7 x64 but i will upgrade to 10 if there's a big difference.

That would be really helpful, because then i could skip installing Windows 10, if there isnt too much difference in latency. Thanks!

Very good to know, i kind of expected it.. wonder if USB3 is more a thing that is helpful when using many inputs at the same time and/or many tracks etc.. wouldnt surprise me.

Hello there
i m searching to know if there is a real difference on the delay on usb 2 US 16-8 and the usb 3 US20-20
any idea ?

According to Tascam there is NO difference between USB 2 and USB 3 (including latency and number of active channels), it even says so on their site i noticed a few days ago.. USB 3 does absolutely nothing.

Thanks for the reply
so i have to find someone with us 16x08 using ableton to be sure... because as i get with all these in that forum is that i cant trust the tascam so much :D !

the 5.8 overall latency (2,9ms input 2,9 output) you get with 128 buffersize its nice with the usb 3.0 US 20x20

i have the same results on 128 buffersize 5,8 overall 2.9 input 2.9 output with my pcie Maya44 XTe

So its hard to believe that the latency on the usb 2.0 US16x08 will be the same
i do the research cause its almost twice the price to get the US20x20...
propably i must make a new thread to find someone who is using the US16x08 with ableton

Attachments

• delay.jpg
    delay.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 14
Running Windows8 64-bit, and latest Tascam-driver (v2) + Pro Tools 12.7.

I set the interface's buffer to 64 samples in the US-20x20 Settings Panel,
but used ASIO4ALL as the ASIO-driver in Pro Tools, (selecting US-20x20 driver in the ASIO4ALL control panel) and the Pro Tools playback engine to 64 samples.

736 sample round-trip latency, i.e. 16ms, so the latency was slightly audible on percussive stuff (i.e. longer than the Haas-effect).

However the output latency appeared to be pretty good, when using soft synths and virtual instruments, it didn't have any negative latency feel to it when e.g. triggering EZD-kits with a keyboard.

Tried switching to US-20x20mixer driver in the ASIO4ALL control panel, as well as switching the Mixer Bypass to On and Off, but couldn't see any difference in roundtrip latency; still at 735-ish samples.

cheers,
H

Hello!!!
I have drop-outs with my interface (Tascam 20x20).

My system
  • Laptop Asus Rog Strix GL553VE-FY052T - 15.6" (i7-7700HQ/16GB/1TB & 256GB/GTX 1050 Ti)
  • Ableton Live 9.7.5 Suite
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit
I tried tascam driver, buffer size 128, with many problems

I tried with assio4all, and thinks have gotten better.

Can anybody report on US20x20 latency with High Sierra and Ableton?

Last edited:
I can report from a Windows 10, 12 x logical cpu's and Tascam 20x20 setup. (cpu load less than 7%) I have annoying latency (using 'ASIO Direct Monitoring' in Cubase 9.5) that I'm truly tries to get rid of.. Right now I have my 'monitor' spkrs ( under the 'Control room') set to US-20x20 out 1 & 2. have a quite annoying delay monitoring myself playing my drums. :( No solution/identification of problem yet. Else the US-20x20 is excellent! , but this ... :(

upload_2018-1-28_18-23-56.png

For those of you interested, this is a related link on Steinberg. https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60658#p371249

Last edited:
Hi, guess I figured my latency issue out. My high latency was caused by latency inducing plugins (can't say which at the moment) and 'Plugin Delay Compensation (PDC)'. But by using the "Constrain Delay Compensation" in Cubase it became manageable. Hope it is useful for anyone else. Now all is calm in US-20x20 land, love it!! :)

(Need 2 more inputs though.... maybe a US-22x20!? ;) )

New threads

Members online