IF-SM/DM card allows only stereo out in 5.1 mode

ncpstudio

Gear owned
DM4800 / DA30 / TRS-8
Hi guys,

I've installed my recently (30/12/15) bought IF-SM/DM card and I can't get more than Stereo L & R in 5.1/6.1 mode.
I've searched the forum, worked with the guidelines provided and even moved the card from slot 2 to slot 3, but still nothing.
Now let me explain:
- I've switched in surround mode to 5.1
- In Alt/Routing I've dialed under Terminal to slot 3 (shows Line 1-8)
- Under source select dialed to BUSS/DIRECT
- Now... under output select, I see slot 3 Line 1-8. Moving downward to address the physical outs,
I have at 1 (stereo -L) and at 2 (stereo - R). At 3 - 8 (---)
- There is no way I can dial (with Jog/dial knob) them to somethingelse, which I can do for the FW card in slot 1. And though there are no cards in the other 2 slots, I can do the same as with slot 1.
- Ok moving down to the batch setup, dailing the big knob doesn't change anything.
- Moving downward, there is a message "Setup of SM card is performed on slotcard screen"
- Going to the slotcard screen (pressing Alt/Digital)
- In operation mode, everything looks ok. L/C/R/Lfe/Ls/Rs are all open (not muted)
- Downmix/Alt spk/OSC route/Bass MGT/to 2.1 are all off
- Under Monitor, cranking up the level Pod gives only L/R sound through 5.1 studio monitors
- In Routing mode, in the monitor field I see at 1 SRND BUSS 1-8, 2 SRND BUSS 9-16, 3 SRND BUSS 17-24, 4-6 have TDIF 1-8.
- Under output: Line 1 L/ Line 2 R/ Line 3 C/ Line 4 LFE/ Line 5 Ls/ Line 6 Rs.
- Now going to the Monitor/Fader window (pressing button 3), it's revealed that buss 1 - 6 have signal,
which led me to the conclusion that the internal signal routing is ok, but that there is something with the card.
Why can't I dial the (---), at Line 1 - 8 under source select, to somethingelse as I can do with the FW card??
It feels like there is something either hardwired or routed in a chip, that doesn't allow changes.
I remember seeing a jumper (as on the mobo's) while inserting the card in the slot.
I don't know what it is so I won't touch it, unless someone knows and can explain.
And touching it is safe and will contribute to solve this issue.

My apologies for this extended text, but I thought of giving a detailed description for a full understanding of the problem.
Please help.........

I've searched the forum, worked with the guidelines provided and even moved the card from slot 2 to slot 3, but still nothing.I've searched the forum, worked with the guidelines provided and even moved the card from slot 2 to slot 3, but still nothing.

Slot 1 FW mkll Card Slot 2 SRND Montior Card

Several years ago when I installed my card I was just a little off the track railings and also got no response. I took my time and realized I was slightly off the mark. It made me smile when I heard the click and everything worked like a charm ever since.

Hi FDR thanks.
I'll try it again in slot 2 and see if it's maybe a bit off position, I'll pay attention to the click.
The thing is that 2 physical outs are there, but you can't change them and the rest isn't seen.
In other words, you can't route the physical outs, it's like they're fixed.
And there is left - right audio coming out of them, I've checked that with 2 channels panned left and right.
Muting them one by one, I can hear the sound going on/off in one and then in the other speaker.
So the card doesn't look dead......or..... at least not completely

Hi CMAFIA,
Yes the DM recognizes the card.
As mentioned earlier, in 5.1 mode I'm getting audio through the card on the Left & Right channels. (though audio is sent through all 6 busses......I can see the meters)

There are 2 routing options in this case (DM):
1) Routing on the console (Alt/Routing)
2) Routing option (Alt/Digital) under Setup Target---card functions

It's in the first Routing option under "Output Select" where I guess you should be able to link Line 1-8 to a Buss, Aux or so.
By selecting the correct card slot (center column), then the appropriate field (left column) and turning the "Jog/Dial" knob, you can change what is in there to something else.
In my case it's where the problem appears...........
I can change from the other slots/cards, but not from the IF-SM/DM.
Furthermore only line 1-2 are linked to stereo L & R, and line 3-8 are empty.

In the 2nd Routing option, everything looks ok.

Can you send me a screen shot. I know in order to set card 2 up you must choose the
Slot card window.
Alt/Dig brings you to that screen.
From there I am able to route everything needed.
Also be sure you select SEL 1 SEL 2 SEL 3 and so on because the stereo button is not warranted because you can down mix from the controls. That had me bugged at that time.
It just came on the market and we all were new.
I just kept wondering why didn't I get any sound until it hit me.
One thing I did want to ask you is what connection are you using out of the SRND Monitor Card?
I mean its a pretty big cable and did you buy a new one or did you test the one you have.
Just trying to think of what it could be.

Hi FDR,
I'll get back to you later today.

I know nothing about mixing to 5.1. Sound. I was just given s project where it's required. I'm going to guess that I couldn't do a 5.1 surround mix without having the if-sm/dm card. Anya tips would be appreciated.

I don't know anything about it either, but I think it only starts with the IF-SM/DM card. You need more hardware; amps, speakers, subs, adapted acoustics(?). Not to mention experience. Personally, confronted with such a request, I'd apologize and say no..

Hey Guys,
My appoligies for not returning to the forum yet. (as promised)
I'm busy with exams, but I'll get back to you later this week.
Fyi the problem was solved, it was an error on my part (I guess.........more or less)

Thanks to cmaffia for triggering me with "Have you read all documentation?", which lead me to re-run the process through my mind and sitting in front of the board, suddenly it popped up........
Also thanks to FDR for confirming my actions with "Also be sure you select SEL 1 SEL 2 SEL 3............"
Anyway I have pics which I'll post and will give small report to the forum.
be back soon

cmaffia yes in order to use 5.1 the if-sm/dm card is required.

@Arjan P that was my initial gut reaction. Run! Say no! But I left it off being honest about my experience and I'd let him know in 2 weeks if I was able to do the job. If I can figure this out, it will open me up to a lot of future projects. There's a big local indie film scene in my area and I'd be foolish not to give it a try.

@FDR Thanks, that's what I figured and I've ordered one. What I need to dive into is how to configure the DM3200 along with configuring the VST connections in Cubase. Lastly, how does one mix down to this format. In the end, what am I sending the editor? I don't believe it's one stereo file..??

I already have an analog card... did I need to buy this IF SM/DM for monitoring?
Couldn't I just route my stems to the outs on my analog card and use Cubase 5.1 surround tools?

Hi guys,
Here I am....I've sneaked out for a moment to check the forum.
IMG_5308.JPG This was the screen that I had for the IF SM/DM card with Alt/Routing.

IMG_5309.JPG
And the problem was this, I had the hardware "Stereo" switch on. I didn't even pay attention to the "Sel 1 - 6 switches. I was using Sel 6 as the 2 track in and didn't realize that the same switch 6 can also be used for multichannel out thru the IF SM/DM card, which you can see in the cards/slots settings section. Alt/Digital under Routing. See next pic.IMG_5307.JPG
Pay attention to the Routing-Monitor section. Check Sel 1-6.......which displays 1 SRND BUSS 1-8, 2 SRND BUSS 9-16, 3 SRND BUSS 17-24 etc. These correspond with the hardware switches on the pic above

Now FDR you were right.
From there one can route everything needed for the IF SD/DM card.
And thanks man that y'd confirmed with your post.
I was diggin in the console's menus going back and forth, frustrated that it looked like everything was configured properly, the buss meters showed signal on 5 ch's and still hearing only the front speakers. To make a long story short, I went to the hardware section, pushing the buttons one by one and suddenly my surround speakers had signal. Then I checked the forum to see if there was any help and I saw your post........I was happy........I was on the right track. Thanks man.

Check this........hardware switch Sel 1 pressed
IMG_5311.JPG
Next pic shows result in Alt/Routing menu
IMG_5310.JPG

Oh yeah next pic Alt/Digital under Operation........the menu has been like this since the beginning.............so to conclude.........there was nothing wrong with the card or its installation, it's just that I'd missed one important part in the hardware section..........since the beginning......
IMG_5306.JPG

Great news....ncp That makes me happy and happy this forum still exist. It was a different version of this one but the guys there some or most here now also were all very helpful to me when I first started on my journey with the DM. I love this board for me because of my work flow. Not for all but for me it was a great investment.

cmaffia I am sure you can and could. As long as you get the result you need and do not need the board in that case. Honestly I have a pretty large monitoring room and the card allows me to set my sub 10 distance, timing and so forth in my listening position. It took me a long time to get my acoustics right because although big I had a few obstacles so the flexibility of the card made it allot easier to use my room to the fullest.
I always say if you don't try then you will never know. So go for it and let us know. Maybe someone also has your work flow or does not require the board in that way. Maybe save some users some money because the card is not that cheap. Well at least when I purchased mine.
Thanks to all who chimed in and keep us updated cmaffia.

cmaffia as Arjan P said you need more and he's right......more then the card alone.
Ok let's start simple.
When I bought the board, I didn't have an SM/DM card, so I routed the ADAT in to the 8 assignable analog outs. I used that to monitor 5.1 material from the DAW.
I think you should be able to do this with 8 busses too....(well you'll need 6ch's)
The downside of this is that you don't have a central 6ch volume control. Some in the past have used a pencil to move the 6 buss faders to simulate that volume control.
I also have a BlueSky surround monitor controller, so I wired the analog outs to the controller and we had sound in the room.
Next is a good set of speakers/amps, ideally 5 equal fullrange and a sub. Powered speakers/monitors would be great, I use 5 ADAM A7's and a JBL sub.
The next step is setting up/calibrate the system. -20 db on the meters/0 dbvu /85, 82 or 78 db C-weighted on your SPL meter, depending on your room and the type of work you'll do.
Some additional acoustics maybe to tailor the response of the room.
Ok a properly calibrated system is a good starting point to mix in surround.

Btw regarding the IF SM/DM card, it makes routing, calibrating & controlling etc of you surroundmonitoring setup easier. You'll be able to use POD3 or the master fader as the 6 ch volume control. (and much more)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.