Layer-button failure... possible solutions?

goodflow

From
NC USA
Website
www.silver-machine.net
Gear owned
DM-4800, DM-3200, US-1800
The layer-selection button for my remote layer has always hinted of unreliability- sometimes needing to be pressed 3 or 4 times, or requiring more pressure than usual in order to respond. Well, I went to the studio today and the inevitable happened: it would not respond at all. Has anybody else experienced button failure on their DM-4800/DM-3200? Is this something that can possibly be remedied with simple maintenance? Could this be a matter of needing to replace a switch (and if so, is this a simple process?) Is there any other way to access the remote layer? I know some selections and buttons can be triggered with a footswitch (of which I have several!), but I don't think layer selection is one of them. Not having access to the remote layer throws a pretty significant barrier into my workflow, so I'd like to sort this as quickly as possible. Thanks!

The product mentioned in that other thread - DeOxIt5 - is made by Caig, and while I think that the base solvent may be alcohol, it is a carrier for some stuff that causes a chemical reaction... It doesn't just soak off crud, it eats corrosion caused by oxidation (hence the name) and essentially "recoats" the connector with a clean and highly conductive surface. AFAIK, there is no equivalent for this product, and "tuner spray" does not work in any way the same as D5. I have seen it bring dead rack units back to life, fix a crackling tube amp by spraying it into the jacks for the effects loop, and actually improve the sound of a Stratocaster just by spraying it into the pots. Everybody who works with electronic tools needs a can around all the time, and I can almost guarantee it will fix your layer button.

Reactions: Jeff and goodflow
Thanks! I had read the other thread and debated whether I should post a reply there or start a new topic... I figured since nobody mentioned a full-on button failure in the other thread I'd start a new conversation. I guess I'll go ahead and order a can of the DeOxIt and hope for the best. Thanks again!

I've had success with two reluctant buttons.
One year later, no harm done.

I use it on everything! Just bought a new can online today. If you use anything electronic, this is a must have tool. You should always have a can of this available.

Reactions: captdan
The product mentioned in that other thread - DeOxIt5 - is made by Caig, and while I think that the base solvent may be alcohol, it is a carrier for some stuff that causes a chemical reaction... It doesn't just soak off crud, it eats corrosion caused by oxidation (hence the name) and essentially "recoats" the connector with a clean and highly conductive surface.

Spray arrived today. I followed the instructions. It completely solved my problem :eek: I was hesitant to get my hopes up, and am now seriously amazed!

What, you doubt me? :p

Seriously, DeOxIt5 is first line of defense. It's the one and only, the real deal, The Gust You Can Trust. Accept no substitutes.

Glad I found this thread. My Buss layer button is dead. I assume you have to open 'er up to apply or can you spray carefully in the gap around the button?

Reactions: mixerizer
You should be able to do it w o opening up the board.

When I had a lazy layer 1 button I used the little plastic tube w the deoxit, sprayed a slight amount in the gap, and gently moved the button around.

Go sparingly, have a rag or paper towel to clean up any spill, and u should be fine! It fixed mine right up.

Good luck!

Headroom, that’s great to hear! Awesome, we r so lucky to have this site to share tips, problems and successes.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.